29 March 2007

Thursday Thirteen

I'm one of those people who have heard of Thursday Thirteen, but don't actually know how to hook up with it. Still, I thought I would list my last thirteen shapeshifter reads. Going backwards in time. I liked them all—I don't finish books unless I like them :)

  1. Moon Called Patricia Briggs - urban fantasy, compelling characters, first in a series
  2. With Love JL Langley - gay romance, short, sweet, hot
  3. A Hunger Like No Other Kresley Cole - Lykae hero, half-vampire heroine, first in a series
  4. Elizabeth's Wolf Lora Leigh - okay, not quite shapeshifter, but the hero has wolf genes, excellent book, part of the Breeds series
  5. Mystic and Rider Sharon Shinn - fantasy, two characters can shapeshift into anything, part of a big series
  6. Without Reservations JL Langley - gay romance, same world as 2, loved it
  7. Enforcer Lauren Dane - hot heroes, yummy sex, strong writing
  8. Kiss Me Deadly Shannon Stacey - shapeshifting bird! crisp, sharp writing and funny
  9. Kitty and the Midnight Hour Carrie Vaughn - excellent pack dynamics, first of a series
  10. Hunter's Pride Shiloh Walker - shapeshifting cats!
  11. Wolf's Moon Charles de Lint - um, I don't remember this one well :\
  12. Blue Moon Lori Handeland - neither hero nor heroine shapeshifted
  13. One Eye Closed Karen Whiddon - part of SIM before Nocturne came on the scene
Well, lots of series up there. I just have to add that I loved Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks, an older read.

So what are your recent shapeshifting reads?

ETA: Forgot Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurenston. Loved her voice.

16 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

Let's see. I recently read Blood Bound, the next book after Moon Called. It kept the story arc moving, so I'll be looking forward to the next one.

Then there was Rising Moon by Lori Handeland. Not much shifting there, but some.

And the Over the Moon anthology featured shifter stories by Angela Knight and MaryJanice Davidson.

Of those 4 stories, 3 also had vampires!

Anonymous said...

The last shape shifter book I read was a re-read from a few years ago: "Lair of the Lion" by Christine Feehan.

Currently I've got my teeth sunk into "Go Fetch" by Shelly Laurenston.

And then there was the one page story written my daughter, "Wolf Girl." A girl in a red cape drops her bread on the way to the post office to mail the bread to grandma. She steps in a wolf paw print and changes into a wolf to find the bread. Ah, to be 8 again :)

Anonymous said...

I think Lauren Dane's Reluctant was the last one I read - I love her wolves, so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sela—I've got to pick up Blood Bound. I keep thinking about Mercy, Adam and Sam. Vampires, I'm not nearly so fond of, but there are important exceptions.

Margo—lol on the eight-year-old's story! You know, I don't think I've read Feehan. As for Go Fetch!, I will have to pick it up at some point, because I loved Pack Challenge, which, oops I forgot to put on my list.

Ember—I agree. I need to pick up more of Lauren Dane's books.

Mercy's Maid said...

I haven't read any of these. I can't handle really intense books (or movies) because I get really scared and my imagination kind of goes out of control. :)

Thanks so much for trying your luck at my 13 this week. Stop by any time!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I haven't read any of these, but they sound interesting! I haven't read any shapeshifter stories in a while.

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Carolan Ivey said...

Tempt Not the Cat by J.C. Wilder.

2 words: Yum, and YUM! :D

Jennie Andrus said...

I think my last shifter read was Sherrilyn Kenyon's latest.

Jennah said...

Great recommendations. I do enjoy Sherrilyn Kenyon's books. The Dark Hunter series definitely involves some hot shape-shifters.

Anonymous said...

Aww, thanks! I'm in some fabulous company on that list.

I just finished Moon Called and Blood Bound - fabulous! I'm in the middle of Kissing Sin, the follow up to Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur - excellent stuff.

Oh and Eileen Wilks is one of my favorite paranormal authors and her Tempting Danger, Mortal Danger and Blood Lines are marvelously inventive and sexy.

Unknown said...

I haven't really had much time to read any paranormals. I'm in the middle of writing on the fourth one of my Moon Series. Sweet Moon Dreams, the first book, just released Tuesday from Samhain.

Now if I can just finish the last book and get a contract for it...

Anonymous said...

mercy's maid—there are some lighter fare when it comes to paranormals. Like Sela Carson's Not Quite Dead.

Thanks for dropping by, Thomma Lyn.

I haven't actually tried JC Wilder or Kenyon's shifters, though I've certainly heard of them!

You're welcome, Lauren. I loved Rule and Lily, but I've tried twice to get into the sequel Mortal Danger and couldn't :\ I don't know if I want to try again or just attempt the third book.

Congratulations on your new release, Rose Marie!

Jenna Leigh said...

My last three shifter books were.
Angela Knight's Master of Swords.
Lori Handeland's Crescent Moon
Laurell K Hamilton's Danse Macabre
All have shifters in them, but all of them deal with them in a different way. Knight's are magical (and hawt) Handeland's are kept in the background so you don't know who is shifting or if they even exist as that's the mystery. Hamilton's are natural or well, supernatural ones. She does describe the shift very well. Dang, I've read more shifters than I thought. I guess that's why I like to write them, huh? LOL.
Oh, my hubby adores Briggs and MJD so much that he's taken them from me. I no longer get to read them first. *sniffles*

Twisted Cinderella said...

Great TT! You can get hooked up with everything you need to know about TT here: http://thursdaythirteen.com/.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, twisted cinderalla. I'll use that information for next time.

Anonymous said...

I'm not really into shape shifting, but I liked "Moon Wolf" (a short story) by Nora Roberts.

Great TT list!

Keep Writing!