23 August 2010

Celebrate With Me. It's My Birthday!


I brought cake.

No, I will not reveal my age, but let's just say that I am far, far, far away from middle-aged. Of course, that midpoint moves further out every year, but we don't need to talk about that. (Hey, Cheryel, we're almost twins!)

When I was a kid, I didn't want to be a novelist.

No, I wanted to be the Bionic Woman. Or a Charlie's Angel. Or an angel with bionic powers.

As I got older, I wanted to be a singer like Olivia Newton John. Or maybe Anne Murray. Or my own twist of Olivia Newton Murray.

Around this time, I was looking to the movies. Wouldn't it be cool to be Princess Leia saving the universe with her choice of hunks--Luke or Hans? Oooh, or maybe a combo-dude like a Hans Skywalker.

A little while later, I enjoyed the stage--from drama to political office. Maybe I'd be a Diva President. Or the President of the Divas.

And now, let's call it a few years later, I am a novelist. I make up my own stories. I can be whomever I want to be, which, thinking on it, was what I was doing all along.

So here's to bionic angels with glorious voices, kick-butt attitudes, and hunky-hunks. I salute you with my icing-covered fork. Mmmm.

How about you? How do your childhood dreams compare with real life?

Kimberley Troutte
www.kimberleytroutte.com

4 comments:

C.C. Wiley said...

Happy Birthday, Kimberley! Love the post.
When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a cowboy, an acrobat,and I was certain that I originated from the Island of Atlantis.

Jean Marie Ward said...

Happy birthday, Kim! Keep pushing that middle mark back. :D

Kimberley Troutte said...

Oooh. I forgot. Thanks, C.C. I really wanted to be a cowgirl too. Not an acrobat, though. Too afraid of heights. *shiver*

Kimberley Troutte said...

Jean Marie,

thanks!

Nothing to look at here folks, just shoving a little line over, just a tad. There. All better.

Truth be told, I might have already stepped over it (sshh, don't tell anyone).