06 January 2013

You mean I actually have to write?

This is something I struggle with as a writer - that sounds rather like an oxymoron doesn't it?

I'm good (maybe even great) at a lot of things writers have to do:

1)  Plotting - I love deciding where my story is going to take place, who the characters will be and what the struggles will be.  It's something I've actually gotten much better at over the years.

2) Promotion - I enjoy meeting new people at conferences, teaching online classes, touring blogs. Interviewing people on my blog.  It connects me to readers on more than a "buy my book" level and I think that's very important.

3) Editing - I would have to say while this isn't my favorite part of the process, I find it much easier than writing itself.  I'm not an author who is attached to every word or phrase.  I'm not even emotionally attached to certain plot devices even though I love that piece.  Ultimately I trust my editors to have the knowledge of what their readers expect from the house as well as my work.

 And then there's Writing - This is the painful part for me.  I'm not talking about the first 30 pages here.  I'm talking about the transition between scenes,keeping sex scenes fresh and which POV do I write from?  I tend to over think this part of the process - a lot. 

If I hit a bump at all here - I tend to avoid it.  I've tried all the tricks to put my butt-in-chair and type.  Fake deadlines, write or do housework, force myself to sit there and stare at the screen for an hour.  It just doesn't work for me.  And of course with a day-job it's a lot easier for me set writing aside as an excuse that I'm tired, don't have time, etc.

I'm not a Write-or-Die writer.  I truly admire those who have to write.  Of course I'm sure they have their own troubles with this business but it's unlikely writing is one of them. :)

Once I do actually sit down - I can usually stay there for a full eight hours finally having the ambition to finish or get close to it.  I love typing "THE END", because then I get to move onto: Plotting, Editing or Promotion.

Who knew to be a successful writer...you actually had to write?  :)





2 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

I know! It drives me crazy, too. There's got to be a better way. ;-)

Kimberley Troutte said...

Giggle. I hear you, ladies. Been there, felt all of what you describe.

For me, I make myself write the scene that I'd rather avoid. Getting it on the page usually helps me get over that whiny faze when I'd rather clean toilets than write. Plus, I give myself permission to be less than perfect. Usually what keeps me from wanting to write is that I know the darned thing is going to be stinky because I haven't sorted through key elements yet like why the characters are doing what they have to do to keep the plot together. I am going to discuss my process here on Monday.

And you are lucky. I've never have a full 8 hours to write. I've got to squeeze my writing day into broken 1-2 hour bits. Man, what I could do with 8 hours!

Happy writing!