09 December 2009

What I Learned in 2009

I know Christmas isn't here yet but I've been thinking a lot about the past year and have come to the startling conclusion that I've learned a lot. 2009 did not start out well for me. I was in a job I loathed (okay, loathed is probably too tame of a word but its early and I can't think straight yet. But trust me, I HATED that job), my health was deteriorating due to said job and a boss that was the role model for Devil Wears Prada. It affected my entire life. But things got better. I left the job, found another I love and along the way learned a few things. So even though its not New Years yet, I thought I'd share some things I've learned in 2009.

I learned....

-That I'm stronger than I think

-But I'm not as strong as I'd like to be

-That "no" still hurts. People say you develop a tough skin in this publishing business but "no" still means "no" and it still hurts.

-To trust my kids' instincts. Sometimes they know whats better for them than I do.

-That my husband really is a wonderful man for standing by me during those horrible months when I cried every day and was a mess emotionally and physically.

-That its not about the publishing, its about the writing. At least for me.

-That the Crock Pot won't cook if its not plugged in.

-To look out every window and use every mirror in the car when backing out of the driveway so I won't hit my husband's beloved Jeep Wrangler. Again.

-To smile in the face of mean, nasty people.

-To be myself. People will still like me if I just act like myself.

-To turn a "no" around to my advantage.

-That I much prefer to work shift work and be on my feet than sit behind a desk Monday through Friday (this was a surprise to me because I thought I'd love having weekends off. Not so much)

-That when you're really, really thirsty a Pina Colada is probably not the best thing to drink.

-To write tight

-To take time for friends

I'm sure there's more but enough about me. What did you learn in 2009?

Sharon
www.sharoncullen.net

Latest Release:




Read excerpt

2 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

I learned that life really does go on after a loss that leaves a huge hole in your heart. And it's okay to keep smiling and laughing right along with the crying. :)

Sela Carsen said...

Fantastic lesson. Too bad about the pina colada one, though. I wondered about that. ;)