31 December 2009

13 New Year's Resolutions I Hope I Don't Keep. Again.

I don't know if nonwriters are as prone to making NY resolutions as the rest of the world, but I'm seeing goal and resolutions lists popping up right and left on industry blogs and such these days. Maybe it's because we're writers and we like to write things down. Maybe it's because the writing-career part of our lives is relatively self-motivated and we hope a list will keep us motivated. Maybe it's because our turn to blog falls around the end or beginning of the year and we have to think of something to day.

Either way, here are 13 resolutions I hope I don't keep this year. Yet again. Feel free to add your own in the comments!

1) I will start 8x as many writing projects as I manage to finish.
2) I will establish at least 1 more social networking time sink in the name of promotion.
3) I will 'earn' 53 form rejection letters in the space of 5 months.
4) I will curse more in front of my children and in public.
5) I will forget to update my websites, blogs and other promotional efforts on at least a monthly basis 1/2 of the time.
6) ...Because I have nothing to add, which is really pitiful.
7) I will watch more movies and tv programs than I read books.
8) I will gain weight.
9) I will spend a great deal of my hours in yoga pants and grungy t-shirts, in need of a haircut and a bath.
10) I will neglect to start dinner in a timely fashion at least once a week, necessitating sudden take-out.
11) I will kill my laptop computer.
12) I will complain frequently about something or other and say it is to keep my vocabulary fresh.
13) I will buy the perfect books as gifts -- that were equally perfect for the same individuals last year!

Have a hopeful one --

Jody W.
www.jodywallace.com
www.meankitty.com

13 comments:

Journeywoman said...

I LOVE # 13.

Alice Audrey said...

Your list looks nothing like mine, but I could easily adopt it.

Sela Carsen said...

Those sound awfully familiar. Here's hoping we succeed in failing!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Are these tongue in cheek/exaggerations or did you really do all that this year? LOL

Irishcoda said...

May you fail to keep all your resolutions. :)

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I must confess, this list is slightly de-exaggerated in order to make myself look better. Alas. I did this and more!

Jean Marie Ward said...

Yes, yes, but what does are the cat's resolutions? Our Feline Overlord wants to know.
Cheers and New Year smiles,

Grandma said...

I've sworn off resolutions. They are just too hard to keep. Yours provide a new perspective, bet I could manage to keep them.

Esri Rose said...

Eerily familiar.

sherilee said...

Great list. Nice to look at it from the "other side" and make plans for the new year accordingly...

Best wishes for a wonderful 2010!

Maria M. said...

I stopped making resolutions, but maybe I could make some like this.

I am Harriet said...

Great sounding resolutions. Good luck!
Happy New Year to you :)

Nicholas said...

Ah, but grungy tee shirts are so comfortable!

Happy New Year!