13 June 2007

Ghosts and ghoulies and... lamps?

A good friend of mine is currently writing a spooky Halloween story for her publisher. Together on IM, we started looking at "ghost pictures" just to get in the right frame of mind. You know, I've seen some really spooky pictures that claim to show ghosts or spirits, and while I'm not quite sure I believe, they're fun to look at. However, this one takes the cake.

Look carefully at the small, square window beside the scaffolding. What's that just visible there?


Yes, my friends, this is purported to be the ghost of a LAMP. Don't believe me? Here's another photo, showing a close-up view of this grisly, terrifying haunting:


I think the grainy quailty of the photo just adds to the terror, don't you?

So this started me thinking--well, after I stopped laughing. (C'mon, really, how does a lamp haunt you? Is it trapped in this realm because it's enraged at getting knocked out the window?) What's the strangest or silliest "true" ghost story you've ever heard? Before finding this particular one, it was the ghostly pair of pants that haunts a Cambridge shop that Cat Marsters and I were told about during a really great ghost tour there. Ghostly pants! I never thought that one would be topped.

Anyone have a fun ghost story to share?

8 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Here's one - The Ghost Pig of Benham.

Then there's a W.Va. story about the Sheep-Squatch. :D

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I don't know any 'true' ghost stories, but I am sad that that lamp took the cake. I like cake.

Grace Tyler said...

Sorry, no. But I wanted you to know I stopped by, Amelia.

Kate Johnson said...

I think it was those ghostly trousers. But, you got me thinking. Ghostly pants in the English sense--underpants--would be a hell of a lot funnier!

Amelia Elias said...

LOLOL, Cat, I always forget pants means undies in the UK! Yes, ghostly undies would definitely trump the ghost lamp.

Meg Allison said...

LOL! Don't know any funny ghost stories, myself. But the lamp is rather scary, don't you think?

Maybe it houses the soul of a failed interior decorator? Or a genie with bad taste?

;)

Carolan Ivey said...

[[failed interior decorator]]

[snickering]

Alexia Reed said...

I used to live with a ghost so I definitely believe in them. I never saw him mind you (I'm assuming him...). I've only ever heard or felt his presence (he'd pass by me and it'd be cold... or if I was sad I'd feel a cold touch suddenly on my face like someone was wiping the tears from my cheeks), but my aunts saw him. They had the room decades before me and they saw him go through the wall and land on their desk. He'd knock things off it and whatnot. Another thing, my dog refused to sleep in my room back then.