09 April 2009

Spring Training

"Anyone who thinks they can't make a difference because they're small has never tried to sleep in a room with a mosquito."
~ HH. The Dalai Lama

I don’t know of many women who like baseball, but I am a fan. Not a rabid fan, but I do like to sit in the evenings with my husband and watch the Cubs or Sox play. I used to be an Astros fan but after last year’s dismal performance I’ve started rooting along with my husband’s favorite two teams.

Now that spring training for them is nearly over and the preseason games have begun (i.e. the Cubs vs. the Astro’s this past week) it has occurred to me that as a writer and a woman who has steadily increased her girth over the past two years, it was time for spring training for myself as well.

Of course it’s not all about the vanity. Now that Mercer’s Bayou is about to go into print, and I already have at least one bookstore wanting me to do a book signing, and the fact that the girls at our insurance company were so thrilled about the book coming out that they treated me like a virtual rock star (much to my embarrassment) and I have a writer’s conference to attend at the end of this month, it was time for me to spruce up a bit. After all, I have to make a good impression. Not only am I appearing for my sake but I’ll be representing Samhain as well.

For appearances sake, I’ll put on some damned make up.

So I’ve begun spring training. Not just with the body, the new food regimen, the yoga and walking the dog twice a day (she’s getting out of shape too) but with my writing and promoting as well.

In order to get my name out as well as to try new writing venues, I’ve been entering various writing contests. In February I entered three, in March, four, and I am currently writing a mystery novella for the Nero Wolfe Black Orchid Contest. It’s been a challenge, but a fun one, trying to see how far I can go with my work. I’m trying different genres, trying new things with language and probably most importantly, spending more time with my art. Instead of goofing off online, I am actually writing, working up to seven or eight hours a day trying to improve my art.

As for promoting, I am working on new venues for that as well. One of the things I have planned is a CafĂ© Press store where you can buy cups and t shirts, stationary and greeting cards. I’m blogging more and in more places, and of course, there’ll be real time book signings and readings.

So I think my spring training is well underway. And because of the preparations I’m making now, I look forward to a great summer season.

What are you doing for spring training?

No comments: