10 March 2010

Absent minded

Okay, so it's 9:30 am and I just now remembered I'm supposed to blog here today. Which is becoming a more frequent occurrance. Me forgetting things, not blogging here. A few weeks ago I finished copy edits on a freelance job (post-rewriting it). I finished it way before deadline, but then I completely FORGOT to turn it in! The person dropped me a reminder email, thank goodness, or else I probably never would have remembered.

I am increasingly absent minded, and I think it's just because there's more stuff crowded in there. Boy's schedule, vacation, WIP, work, appearance schedules, and the myriad of grad school projects I have to finish. Thank goodness we haven't started editing my next book yet too, or my brain might explode.

Is this a sign of getting older or just busier? I used to be able to remember EVERYTHING. Now, if I don't write it down, it's just as likely to fall into the Bottomless Pit of my brain, from which Nothing Shall Ever Return. I'm lucky I have extensive notes on my WIP, or else in Chapter 13 aliens might land in the middle of 19th century Philadelphia.

I could seriously use an assistant, but I'm terrified I might lose them.

Maybe this is a side effect of the internet. Or some viscious plot by my cats, whereby I eventually lose the ability to remember anything except to feed them. I don't know. I just know that if it continues in this way, eventually I'm going to forget something really important, like...what's that thing you do, where you put food in your mouth? Yeah, that, for my son. Fortunately he's old enough that he can do that himself, so I don't worry too much.

For now, I'm going back to writing...wait, what am I doing here? Who are you people?

1 comment:

Carolan Ivey said...

I feel your pain. :) I've been a chronic forgetter all my life - my family chalks it up to part of my charm. But I've had to make a superhuman effort to be one time and EARLY in my professional life.

Last year my doc and I finally figured out why. I've been ADHD all my life, one of millions of women who go undiagnosed b/c our symptoms are usually more subtle than a male's.

Things have turned around dramatically for me since then, but it's still more of an effort than a non-ADDer!