11 March 2012

Walking on the road less traveled...


I've always have a love of poetry, from The Canterbury Tales through to more recent works. There's just something about the words tripping off your tongue, of telling a story through a whole different way of communication.

In the last few years I've found the world of science-fiction poetry - scifaiku, to be precise. Using the haiku form to tell a short, snappy story in three lines is a challenge.

Other types of poetry offer wonderful ways to explore ideas and concepts. From triolets to Fibonacci to plain old rhyming verse it's a whole different way to spin a tale.



Recently I put together a small chapbook of my poetic works, published and unpublished, under the title of Echoes of Red. It's available on Amazon and Smashwords for only a dollar.

Here's a sample of some of my work:


No Shoes, No Shirts, No Service

 zombie shopping mall
"SALE! HALF OFF!" the sign proclaims
she looks with one eye
she is always on the hunt
for a good bargain, of course.


While poetry's not for everyone, I hope I've encouraged you to explore this way of expressing yourself and perhaps start playing with haiku and/or scifaiku to tell your tale. After all, who says a good story can only be told in prose?

3 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

That sounds like fun, Sheryl. Can't wait to check out the chapbook. To quote my inner zombie: Fun. Gooood. :-)

Carolan Ivey said...

Love it! Adding to my Kindle now. Um, how will Zombie juice affect a Kindle???

A. Catherine Noon said...

Wow, what an interesting way to approach it! I like it. I've never heard of scifaiku; what an awesome wordpic.

Thanks for sharing!