12 November 2012

Old School and New School—Romantic Set-ups


A funny thing happened to me on the way to publishing my third book.

My editor rejected it. Soundly, I might add. And tears, I’ll add those too. I just figured that once I’d sold two books I was golden. Editors supposed to love everything their authors write, right?
Um, not necessarily.

The main reason my editor rejected the manuscript was that it didn’t follow a typical old school set-up. The characters actually liked each other the moment they met. Not love, but like. This was no good.  Who knew? Well, my editor, but not me.

I didn’t understand that since the dawning of time, readers have adored the old school romantic trope of “enemies to lovers”, or “strangers to lovers”. Those storylines are still going strong because the conflict and tension between the characters is palpable. Conflict keeps us turning pages. The desire to resolve the conflict in a satisfying loving way is why most of us read romance.

After pouting for a bit, I realized I needed to increase the conflict. I began the arduous task by throwing out the first third of the book and starting over from scratch. I made things tougher for my characters. They don’t hate each other but they do have competing objectives—real, noble, life or death goals. If one wins, the other loses and people could die unless they find a way to work together.

After tossing out the first third, I tossed the middle third and completely rewrote the final third. You don’t need to be a mathematician to see that I rewrote the whole darned enchilada. But it’s okay because I love it! This story is much deeper, more complex, more emotional, more…everything. Breath-stealing conflict was the key. Characters we love to root for is another other key. Heart-stopping plot is the third. Well, there are lots of keys.

I am still tinkering, but I am tickled to say that this manuscript is a finalist in four writing contests. I am excited beyond words to see what the final judges decide.

Apparently my editor, like my Mom, is always right.

www.kimberleytroutte.com

6 comments:

A. Catherine Noon said...

LOL! Don't tell your editor they're always right. It just goes to their heads. Collectively. ~grin~

I'm sorry you got the rejection, but it sounds like the revised product is even better. I know it's an old saw, but that conflict sure does drive a story. I can't wait to read yours! Maybe you could do a "before/after" series on your blog, to show what you had and what you chose to change, and why. That would be like a mini-master-class. Fun.

Congratulations on the finals!! That's awesome news!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, Catherine.

A before/after series might be fun. Hmmm.

If anyone would like to know more about writing contests, Aunt Noony interviewed me about why I enter contests today over at the Writers Retreat:

http://writersretreatblog.blogspot.com/

Jean Marie Ward said...

Congratulations on the rewrite, Kimberley. Here's hoping the revised version has an easier time in the editorial sweepstakes.

Selena Robins said...

Great post, Kimberley. Rejection sucks, and I hope our best friend Godiva was around. Sounds like you did a good job with revisions, though and I look forward to reading it.

Congrats again on the finals! We'll all be routing for you, and when you win, we'll celebrate. :)

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, Jean Marie. Fingers crossed.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Selena,
I can't do rejections without Godiva or some form of dark chocolate. :-)

I feel like I've already won with a story that a truly love but yes, an actual win would be awesome.

Thank you for stopping by.