It's Spring, and thoughts turn to Spring Cleaning.
You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I really did do that one year. I took five whole vacation days off (I had fifteen a year back in those heady days) and cleaned everything from stem to stern. I have to admit, it was bliss.
The next year, I took the days off to do it and slept for five days straight.
So it's a mixed bag, really.
If I had to distill everything I've learned about cleaning, organizing, developing new habits and pruning old ones, and maintaining stuff I'd say this:
Ha! Until I am in a financial place to afford one, here's what I do that works for me:
- Start small. Baby steps really do work - AND tend to get done when big giant leaps get procrastinated.
- Avoid it. If you don't make a mess to begin with, you don't have to clean it up. Cultivate tidiness.
- Learn how to manage the everyday accumulation of things. If you're a knitter (and who isn't??), learn how to keep your projects and stash in self-contained areas so that they aren't all over the house for the cats to massacre.
- Hire a maid. No, really. Call around and see how much it costs. It's less than you think, and starting from a clean house makes it a helluva lot easier to want to maintain it.
- Be reasonable. If you work outside the home or are a homemaker, and you want to write in addition to that, and you expect to eat, sleep, and occasionally have some fun, your home isn't going to look like a spread from Architectural Digest. That's just facts. Get used to what level of clutter you can live with and tell your inner Aunt Mabel the Magnificent to catch a train to Biloxi and leave you alone.
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
- E.E. Cummings
The Chicagoland Shifters series:
Book 1 BURNING BRIGHT, available from Samhain Publishing.
Book 2 TIGER TIGER, available from Samhain Publishing. An All Romance eBooks Bestseller!
The Persis Chronicles:Check out EMERALD FIRE, available from Torquere Books.
Check out COOK LIKE A WRITER , available from Barnes and Noble.
Check out "Taking a Chance", available from Torquere Books!
My links: Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | LinkedIn | Pandora
Knoontime Knitting: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
Noon and Wilder links: Blog | Taurus and Taurus (NSFW) | Website | Facebook
The Writer Zen Garden: The Writers Retreat Blog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Meetup
Team Blogs: Nightlight | Nightlight FB Page | Beyond the Veil | BtV FB Page
Publishers: LooseId | Samhain Publishing | Torquere Press