08 May 2014

Happy Birthday to Meeee!

I wandered out of bed today to write my post for the blog and noticed the above image on Google.  I thought, "What? Who's birthday is it?" Now, don't be silly, of course I know it's my birthday, but how does Google? So I clicked on it, and it's me. Wowsers.

Part of me is weirded out. I mean, sure, I put in my birthday on my Google+ page, but this?  Another part of me is flattered, like holy cow, that's slick.  Another part of me is aware that this is the new reality: marketing firms know a lot about us and the good ones, like Google, will use it to interact with us in ways that feel social.  Twenty years ago it was birthday cards from friends. Now it's birthday greetings from companies (and they weren't the only ones, just the most startling to find on my search page when I went to look for a lolcat image).

What about you? What's the most startling thing you utilize regularly that a few years ago was never heard of? Or, if you feel up to predicting, what do you think will be the startling thing of the future?




-- 
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
- E.E. Cummings

The Chicagoland Shifters series:
Book 1 BURNING BRIGHT, available from Samhain Publishing.
Book 2 TIGER TIGER, available from Samhain Publishing. An All Romance eBooks Bestseller!

The Persis Chronicles:Check out EMERALD FIRE, available from Torquere Books.
Check out "Seeking Hearts", available from Torquere Books.

Check out COOK LIKE A WRITER , available from Barnes and Noble.
Check out "Taking a Chance", available from Torquere Books!

My links: Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | LinkedIn | Pandora
Knoontime Knitting: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Ravelry
Noon and Wilder links: Blog | Taurus and Taurus (NSFW) | Website | Facebook
The Writer Zen Garden: The Writers Retreat Blog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Meetup
Team Blogs: Nightlight | Nightlight FB Page | Beyond the Veil | BtV FB Page
Publishers: LooseId | Samhain Publishing | Torquere Press

No comments: