18 December 2008

The Perfect Christmas Present...

This is a tough holiday shopping season. With the evening news reporting depressing news, it makes it hard to consider buying gifts. It makes us all more conservative with our spending.

But, it’s still Christmas and I have a suggestion. Don’t know what to get that special someone? BOOKS!

Yep. Books.

And if you’re feeling especially generous this year, you might want to look at those glossy big ticket items associated with them – Ereaders. Both Sony and Amazon have very nice readers worth a look if you’re in the market for one.

The great thing about Books as gifts is that there’s something out there for everyone. There’s men’s fiction and women’s fiction, nonfiction, and children’s picture books and chapter books. If you’re not sure what to get? Try a giftcard to your favorite retailer – or an ebookstore. There are more than just Sony and Amazon ebookstores, too. *coughSamhaincough*

And the best part? It won’t break the bank and provide hours of entertainment.

I know, I hear the grumbling. I’m an author, so of course I’ll say buy books. But you know something?

Before I was an author, I was a reader. My husband bought me my first electronic reader in 2001. Between you and me, I think it was his way of escaping the inevitable hours of waiting while I browsed the bookstore. My Gemstar meant he could stay home and watch television while I browsed the bookstore from the comfort of the couch…and he didn’t have to cringe at the cashier while he paid the bill. When the Sony Reader first hit the market, he somehow managed to find one after trying to order from Sony and told the best they could hope for was Valentine delivery instead of Christmas.

I don’t know how he found it, but I cried when I opened it because I was so excited. And if he wants to make me smile, he’ll slip a Sony Connect Store gift card into a card and mail it to me.

Why? Because giving me books means he knows me…and loves me enough to indulge my hobby. But more than that, he knows that a book is an evening of escapism from the trials of motherhood, career, and the general chaos that stresses us all out every day. It’s his way of saying that he wants me to take a moment to myself because he knows it’s those private moments to regroup that make me a better wife and mother.

So, consider adding the bookstore to your last minute shopping stops. Someone on your list might be hoping that you’ll think of it…

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sisters and I (there are 7 of us total) each write a christmas wishlist of books that we want to read or e-sites we want gift cards/certificates for. Then the networking begins as we contact each other to discuss who is getting what for whom. The fun in this is being able to lord over a sibling that you know what so-and-so is getting them and your not telling. LOL. I think we all got stuck in elementary school, but the system does work. Plus we all have very similar taste so the print books often get passed around so we don't have to buy multiple copies unless it is something we want to be able to re-read whenever.

azteclady said...

Excellent post! And yes, books (or bookstore gift cards) make extraordinarily appropriate gifts for readers.

(So my s.o. and I basically exchange books or book g.c. :grin:)

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

How funny, Kaye! I just posted this exact sentiment on another blog the other day! We must think alike -- like writers and readers *hehe*. Last night I was at BooksaMillion at 10:30 pm trying to finish up my shopping. I failed, but it was a nice hour.

Jody W.

Tamsyn said...

I have loved reading since I was in primary school and the habit stuck with me throughout the years. Books have brought me hours of pleasure and escape from the mundane.
Tamsyn aka Pollyanna
tamsyn5@yahoo.com

Joan said...

I love to read and think everyone else should too,so I give books or gift cards to books store for Christmas. Merry Christmas.

Jane said...

My cousin likes self-help books, so I'm figuring out which book to get him.

Asylumgirl said...

The only problem I have with giving books is that it is a personal gift and you should know the person well in order to give them books. If I don't know them well, they're probably getting a bath set or a gift card. LOL

Deidre

Gina Marie Pettitt said...

My brother and I are the readers in my family. I try to give my mom a book about religion, spirituality or a sweet romance. My sister always gets a book from the author she collects. I try to give my brother a book he will enjoy, last year was Tolkein. When they give me books they don't give me that present until last because I get caught up in the books and forget to finish unwrapping the rest.
What can I say I love to read...

gpet789@verizon.net

Cynthya said...

Aww, you have a sweet husband. We always give books as gifts and they are always at the top of my wish list. Although this year I'm hoping for an ereader, no idea if I'll actually get one or not! Happy Holidays to all!

clynsg said...

Actually, now I think gift cards are a better way to go. Because I am an avid reader, many people have felt that giving me a book is great, and I really appreciate the thought. But all to often, the book is one I have either already read or have just purchased for myself. Now that the electronic gadgets are available, that would be a good choice if the funds were available, since it would be easy enough to learn if the recipient already had one of those!

clynsg at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I used to buy everyone individual gifts but as much thought as you put into it sometimes the person may want something else. That's why i buy lovely gift cards that anyone can use anywhere. Everyone is happy, which in the end makes me happy.
naughtyforgetmenotfairy@yahoo.com

Tameka said...

I've been hinting at everybody who'll listen for the Amazon Kindle I so want this e-book reader and it seems like I'm not getting anywhere with this hard hearted family of mine.

Laura Loo said...

I don't suppose your husband has a single brother for me? Or uncle, cousin, nephew? Sigh....I bet you got the last one right? Story of my life.

;)

Merry Christmas!

Laura

Karin said...

I love to give and get books as gifts. I've already gotten one or two books for each of my nieces and nephews for Christmas this year. When my mom asked me what I wanted, I told her 'books' and offered to write her a list of titles. However, since she's seen my TBR pile, she just rolled her eyes and laughed.

Unknown said...

I just received a christmas card from my Mom, she included scrath off lottery tickets and a wonderful $50 Barns and Nobles gift card!! Yay Mom, finally a present that I could really enjoy! Happy Holidays! Jen :)

Martha Eskuchen said...

When asked this year I've said that a gift certificate to Amazon would be wonderful for me. I'm saving up to get a Kindle!