08 February 2010

Inspiration: Get it Where You Can


Writing a story can be...oh, what is the word?...HARD!

I mean, seriously, creating a brand-spanking new world with sights, smells, tastes, and sounds? Developing new people with hearts, guts, skin and bones that readers want to fall in love with? Delving into conflicts that are believable and strong enough to grab the reader by the collar and propel them into a story they don't want to put down? AND digging deep enough to make it all fun, emotional, awe-inspiring, and completely satisfying?

Dang, it is hard.

There are times, I will admit, when it all seems impossible. On those days I look for inspiration, something, anything with a boot to kick me in the seat of my pants. I find inspiration in all sorts of places and here are a few:

1) My boys are the first to tell me to stop being a wus. Just do it already, Mom. Plus, they are super good to bounce ideas off of. They have no qualms in telling me if something sucks. But they are also great at telling me what rocks. The best thing is they keep me grounded and remind me what's really important--when's dinner?

2) My hubby is an athlete. He challenges his body and his mind on a daily basis. Men fifteen years younger than he is are jealous of his accomplishments. I see how dedicated he is, how motivated, how he keeps going when his body hurts, or when he is tired. The man is a living inspiration.

3) My parents, sisters and brother all lift me up. They've suffered through my growing pains and rejections and never once suggested I quit. Encouragement from people who love me no matter what? Priceless.

4) My friends have always been there (in good times and bad) with kind words, hugs, jumps for joy, rejection condolences, chocolate, coffee, and money to buy my books.

5) Authors who have gone before me and who are struggling beside me are inspirational. A great book lifts me up, gives me hope, and turns the light on at the end of the tunnel.

6) Artists, athletes, and anyone who has set stellar goals for themselves and have worked their fannies off (for years, usually) to reach them.

7) The Bible. I can always find inspiration in there.

8) Me. Looking back at how far I've come, helps to move me forward.

9) Inspirational Quotes. I love them and collect them. This week I found one from Muhammed Ali that really spoke to me, "I am the Greatest. I said that even before I knew I was."

So here's to being the greatest! I wish you inspiration and joy in your journey to reach the stellar goals you have set for yourself. If you have quotes, or inspirational stories to share, I'd love to see them.

Kimberley Troutte
www.kimberleytroutte.com

6 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Great post, Kimberley! I remember hearing Jim Carrey talk about how, when he was starting out and flat broke, he wrote himself a check for a million dollars and told himself he'd be able to cash it. He gave himself a deadline, I forget what it was. A year? Four years? Anyway, it's about setting a goal and going for it.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Oooh, that's good, Carolan!

Kimberley Troutte said...

My son found a great quote:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Michael Jordan

Kimberley Troutte said...

And here's two more:

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man without trials."
Confucious

"We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then is not an act but a habit."
Aristotle

C.C. Wiley said...

Great post, Kimberley! Your commitment and perseverance is an inspiration too.

I don't recall the original author, but my screen saver says: Fear is what you pass on the way to success. When we face our fear and do it anyway, we become FEARLESS!

And the other bit of inspiration that hangs over my desk:
Never quit. Never do the expected. Never rest on your laurels. Never think great is good enough. Never follow. ~ unknown author

Kimberley Troutte said...

All great, C.C.
I like the idea of becoming fearless.