03 January 2011

New Year, New Attitude

Every year I start out with the best of intentions. Every year I realize around April 1st that intentions are about all I have. Not because of lack of trying, simply due to the fact that time slips away faster than I want it to. As a matter of fact, I think the world has slipped into some kind of parallel universe where time is accelerated. A second no longer lasts exactly a second- so a minute is shorter than before - which means a hour isn't as long...you see the cumulative effect it has. Like a snowball rolling down hill toward an avalanche. Before you know it, it's the middle of October and none of the writing or personal goals have been met and I left looking around like, "What happened?"

To this end, I'm come up with a solution.

I no longer make resolutions on the New Year. I just simply reset my goals and clear my mind to prepare for hard work and pushing on through with whatever I have to do that day. I know, semantics, but hey sometimes changing terminology helps.

No, it doesn't help that I stayed up until 5:43 this morning reading a book I couldn't seem to put down. (Ugh...that was like the last thing I wanted to do! - I have so much work on my plate.)

I really don't want to be looking at the calender and seeing the days speeding toward June and I don't have a thing to show for the year. So, far that hasn't been a problem in years past, though I'll admit to not producing as much as I'd like, or as fast as I want. But I'm not too shabby on output either.

What it all boils down to is doing what I've always done, just doing it better and more efficently. That doesn't seem like such a hard goal to keep.

So, it is with a lighter heart and much enthusiasm that I come into 2011. It's three days down and already it's looking very promising.

What are you doing in the New Year?

-Kat

No comments: