01 June 2011

A Journey of a Thousand Miles

Last Saturday, my son comes up to me, a book in hand.

"Mommy, I want to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone".

We've tried this before, with me reading it to him. We never get far, but he was younger then. He's eight and a half now, just about the right age for this book. And he is a good reader, though usually getting him to put down the Wii controller and pick up a book takes an act of Congress. But, wanting to encourage him, I said okay.

That was last Saturday. He's past the first 100 pages already.

I think since he's seen the movies it may be easier for him to follow along - though he's already picked up on some of the differences. But he's totally been captured by this book. My cousin said to me - "wouldn't it be great, to be able to pick them up and have them all be new again?" I love that he's discovering this series in print rather than just the movies, which he loves (yes, he has a wand and can remember any spell you ask. But he also wants to be Matt Smith's Doctor for Halloween, so I know I have a weird kid.).

I AM so excited for him, for this to be new for him, because I hope it leads him to a life full of reading, of finding books that capture his imagination.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

No comments: