04 August 2011

Characters I Love

When I saw Star Wars at the age of nine in the theater (or maybe it was The Empire Strikes Back), I had a HUGE crush on Luke Skywalker. Dashing, attractive, daring, he was everything I wanted my hero to be.




Remember the scene in the first part of Star Wars, where they show the two ships fighting the lasers go whizzing past with lots of loud noise?



I hid in my dad’s shirt when that happened.

I also hid when Darth Vader and Luke fought the first time, and when Luke lost his hand. How I hated Darth Vader! That breathing!


I remember a few years back that modern audiences don’t find Darth Vader scary at all, but that the new set of Star Wars movies had Darth Maul as the new big-bad.



Say what?? How could you not find that breathing scary?

Then I saw Space Balls (somehow I missed it when it first came out). Not at all scary, and I tried to tell myself I agreed – Darth Vader isn’t scary.





But I still shiver when I think of him, and that awful breathing.

I didn’t have imaginary friends growing up. Instead, I told myself stories, and others too. I wrote the first one when I was nine; an embarrassing-to-me-now piece about a cat named Marge.

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere, right?

Then I discovered Star Trek on re-runs. I used to watch it on my parents’ old black-and-white TV in their bedroom while my mom was in some other part of the house, sewing or cleaning or what-all. The shows captivated me. I wanted Captain Kirk to be my dad. Or at least an uncle.

Then came the alien probe episode.



I’m sure, if I watched it now, I would find it quite unscary. After all, we’ve progressed light-years from the olden days of special effects. But that probe episode sticks with me, for the sheer dread I felt while watching it. There were a couple others that I found equally riveting, and that had characters that scared me. But the idea of a machine attacking people, to me at the time, inexorable.

Somehow, the Terminator must have gotten my brain scans, because they couldn’t have conceived of a scarier redux on that idea! I mean, it’s a machine, shaped like a man! It could be anyone! Schwarzenegger’s gotten a lot of bad press lately, much of it self-inflicted, but he will forever have my admiration for the portrayal of that heartless, soulless machine in the first movie. Not to mention, he was unstoppable! I know everyone remembers the “Ah’ll be bahk” quotes. But to me, the seminal moment is when the terminator is crushed in the machine and STILL keeps coming, even without his legs working.



Yikes!

I remember reading a quote attributed to Lois McMaster Bujold relative to her character, Miles Vorkosigan. She said something along the lines that she simply imagines what horrible tortures she can do to Miles, and then figures out a way for him to surmount them, and that’s how she comes up with her stories. In the process, she’s created one of the most amazing characters of science fiction. Here is a man who is crippled, maimed, and some might say, deformed. Yet he manages through sheer force of personality to abscond with a mercenary army and then return to take command of that army – despite not being of legal age to drink.



For me, what makes characters, good or bad, memorable is how they handle the consequences of their actions or the actions around them. It isn’t enough to just do “stuff” to a person. What’s interesting is how that person responds to it. I remember my father ranting about the movie The Perfect Storm, because the men upon whom the story is based were drunk and stupid. He felt that was no way to tell a story, since the people involved had no redeeming characteristics. I didn’t quite know what he meant until I saw the remake of The War of the Worlds. Tom Cruise’s character was awful! The portrayal wasn’t bad, as Mr. Cruise is a skilled professional. But the man he portrayed was, to put it bluntly, a waste of time. He didn’t stay with his wife, was a neglectful father, and a coward. Yet the entire movie revolved around him as though he was some sort of reflection of everyman, a modern-day hero.

To that I say, poo. I want heroes like Luke Skywalker. Men and women who take what is given to them and turn it into something grand. Villains who intimidate by a look or a gesture.

Characters, in short, who make me believe, even for only a short while, that they are real, that they live and breathe, and that I could one day meet them.

~A. Catherine Noon

16 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

Darth scared the bejeebus out of me too. I was around the same age when Empire came out, maybe a couple years younger. I can't remember other than 80s and hating Darth.

Darth Maul, meh, he got easily beaten in the Phantom Menace. All that build up and bam, he's dead.

The villains who really FREAK me out now are the Borg. OMG. Those guys just ... yeah they terrify me.

Xakara said...

I love how this post turned out! I can't think of a bad guy that got to me the way you all describe Darth Vader.

I do agree with the relentlessness of the Terminator. I think I'm more creeped out by nebulous monsters, things that come out of nightmares without rhyme or reason.

~Xakara

A. Catherine Noon said...

Thanks, Amy! I know what you mean about the Borg. Patrick Stewart is another actor able to make you believe in his portrayals of characters. And when he was captured by the Borg...

I'll admit it, I had some nail-biting moments, and I'm not longer the little girl who hides in her dad's shirt.

Thanks, Xakara! I'm so pleased you liked it. :) Nebulous monsters, huh? Do you mean real monsters, like scary Chinese vampire demons, or more a feel or shiver at the back of the neck, like in the Fog?

FiremanPat said...

When I went to see The Empire Strikes Back, the power went out. While we were waiting for the power to come back on, a person dressed up in the costume of Darth Vader walked down the aisle, heavy breathing machine, red light saber and all... Scared the be-jesus out of me!

As for "War of the Worlds", didn't you learn the major plot point of the movie? Everyone is safe in Boston when the world ends! Did you notice the yuppie people were wearing sweaters, and dressed nicely, no worry on their faces at the end? I know where I will head when the shit hits the fan!

As for now, some of the more scary things or people in the movies are the people themselves. I like the idea of the regular person having a backbone, being able to stand up to the bad thing, and somehow survive. There has been a weak amount of people that fit that ideal lately, but I have hope!

Lucius Antony said...

Darth Vader (not unlike the Ring of Power) is all together evil (Anakin is not, of course), I'm not sure if I was ever scared of him, per se, but if I were in the dark and suddenly heard that breathing for no apparent reason, yeah, I'd probably be pretty freaked out.

I liked what you had to say about characters, but I don't recall War of the Worlds enough to say anything about the character.

Jean Marie Ward said...

I was always a Han Solo kinda girl. Never trusted a knight without a little tarnish on the armor. They're either priests or prigs. Either way, they're not much use to a woman, especially since they tend to put her interests last. But l adore Miles. He had me when he started reciting Richard III in the middle of a fast penta interrogation. :-)

A. Catherine Noon said...

Hey, Pat! Good point about Boston; I never thought of that. Now I know where to go when the aliens come! (Watch, they're already here, and they're pigeons...)

Lucius, good point on the Ring being similar to Darth Vader. I think Darth is similar to Gollum, actually, given that they both were in thrall to something evil.

I love Solo too, particularly the older I get. I sort of grew out of Luke. But man, I loved him when I was little! And yes, Miles's technique with fast penta is terrific. Although my favorite one is the Marilacan escape. :)

Rachel Wilder said...

I have to agree with the Hans Solo comment, but I also liked Ford as Indiana Jones. I want my heros and bad guys to be bigger than life, not a Commom Joe that just got misguided or lucky. Loved the description of 'ol Vader.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Thanks, Rachel! It's funny how Harrison Ford is one of the few actors from that group that has gone on to wide acclaim. Did you see ihm on Conan O'Brien the other night? His new movie, Cowboys and Aliens, came out at the same time as the Smurfs movie and they grossed the same amount of money (which HAS to be an accounting glitch!). He was funny and gracious all at the same time; well worth watching.

Darla M Sands said...

Great post! I went to the Star Trek Experience when it was in Las Vegas not so many years ago and felt a moment of true fear when I found myself alone in the hallway with a group of Borg. :) I love Patrick Stewart and Harrison Ford. They seem like people that would be nice to know as well as being great actors.

Xakara said...

Thanks, Xakara! I'm so pleased you liked it. :) Nebulous monsters, huh? Do you mean real monsters, like scary Chinese vampire demons, or more a feel or shiver at the back of the neck, like in the Fog?

Either work for me; as long as it was never human, doesn't understand being human or humane, and has no concept of mercy or human attachment, it's truly frightening to me.

Being that alien doesn't necessarily make a creature evil, but evil personified rather than confined by human mores it what scares me in fiction.

So glad to see Han Solo fans!

~X

A. Catherine Noon said...

Hi, Darla! I can see why being alone in a hallway with a group of Borg would be frightening. It fascinates me how "pop" culture can get that deeply into our psyches and that images such as that have the power to scare us. It makes sense from the perspective of history, since in prior generations the stories might have been oral recitations. I am always startled, though, when something I see on television or in a film scares.

I once saw actor Anthony Hopkins on Actors' Studio, and he was incredible. The interviewer asked Mr. Hopkins about portraying Hanibal Lecter, the murdering cannibal. Mr. Hopkins talked a bit about it and how he came up with his chilling performance, and that it actually scared his fellow actors. The interviewer asked him what he meant, and Mr. Hopkins 'looked' at him.

A woman in the audience screamed.

I loved it. Talk about consummate skill!

Xakara, I think I know what you mean. An "alien" (be it animal or of another planet) intelligence that has no interest or context in common with us would be scary. Have you read C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series? The "aliens" aren't scary, per se, but she gets into cultural differences and species differences in such a fascinating and intelligent way, weaving it right into the story, that it's riveting.

Tess Miller said...

I was also intimidated by Darth Vader when I saw the original movies, I could see the dark, shiny uniform, the height, hear that resonant James Earl Jones voice. Despite that mask, I felt it when he gave the other characters 'the look', very scary.
But the most visceral reaction I got was from that heavy breathing. As an asthmatic, he personified the claustrophobia and panic that a bad attack always brings.

It's true, the hero is only as good as his villan is bad and Darth really made Luke look good.

Another favorite villian is the Baron Harkkonen from the movie 'Dune'. He and Sting as Feyd pushed my previous expectations of bad to worse. Slimy, cruel and yet I was unable to take my eyes off of them.

Thanks for a great trip down memory lane with some of my favorite characters, good and bad.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Hi, Tess! Thanks for commenting!

I know what you mean about the baron in Dune; I found him much more scary in the books. The movie didn't really do much for me, but I think that's more the challenge of taking things from a book to the screen.

Sting, though, is amazing. I saw him in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels where he played the father of a character. He ran a bar in, I think London?, and he was a cold, calculating son-of-a-... well. He played it brilliantly. Though older than the typical thug one might think of, his chilling reactions to things (or, the fact that his lack of reaction was so chilling) is what did it for me. Especially because I'm a HUGE fan of his music and have a different reaction to him from that context vs. his movie portrayal.

I never thought about Darth Vader from the perspective of an asthmatic, but that makes total sense. I know you and I have talked in the past about asthma and how it acts on the body; I can totally see what you mean now that I think about it. Great insight!

~hugs~

Debbie Fligelman said...

Jaws was the first movie to really scare me. The closer the villain gets to someone or something that could exist, the scarier it gets.

I know what you mean about having your hero's larger than life Rachel. The first time I saw Peter O'Toole coming over the hill on that horse, my heart did somersaults.

I'm also a sucker for the hero who stands up to tyranny or injustice, be it standing up to the spice guild or apartheid.

Thanks for post Amanda, brought back memories. Especially Nomad (the probe) it was a great character in its own right.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Hi, Debbie! Thanks for commenting! I agree, Nomad was a character in its own right. That's an interesting idea, that something that is, essentially, an inanimate object could be its own character. In "Man vs. Nature" stories, that's certainly something that happens, though I hesitate to call Nature "inanimate." I suppose, "non-human" would be a better name, but then, that's awfully anthropocentric.

Which is why, ultimately, I like Star Trek: it was one of the first popular shows to really dig in and examine our assumptions about sentience. Literature has played with that idea before, of course, (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein comes to mind), but I think some of the greatest Sci-Fi stories really help us to look at that in a deep way. What does it take to be human? Is human the be-all and the end-all of striving, or is there something grander out there?

Good stuff, Maynard. :)