14 November 2011

Visit from My 100-Year-Old Self

Since we are talking about the future, I borrowed the idea from Brad Paisley’s song, “Letter to Me” and had my 100-year-old self visit present-day me.

First off, Kimberley, don’t get freaked out. This really is what you are going to look like in the year 2065. Smokin’ hot, right?

And no, I am not visiting you from the Great Beyond. I’m still alive, thank you very much. Time travel is not such a big deal from my side of things.

So…why have I travelled sixty odd years to see you? Well Kimbo, you need a little guidance on this journey of ours. That email you keep staring at like it's a death sentence is liable to create stress that could sabotage our full life. Trust me, you don’t get to be this smokin’ hot by carrying stress baggage day-in-day-out.

My first piece of advice?

Dump the baggage. It’s heavy, ugly, outdated and gives you wrinkles. Let it go. Find your bliss instead. Work at being happy and you will, well, be happy. And so will I.

On that note, it is awesome to be wealthy and famous (more on that later) but you can’t place a value on love. Make sure your family and friends know how much you care. Nothing is more important than love. Not one thing. Especially not that email. Stop looking at it!

From this side of the journey, time is measured in days, not years. Each day is a gift and I’ll slap you silly if you squander your gifts! Get up each morning, put your big girl panties on, and face the day with a smile. Smiling works wonders.

But don’t keep things bottled up, either. Biting your tongue only gives you a sore tongue and a future full of trouble. Remember the melt-down at Targas Eight? Um, sorry. No you wouldn’t remember that since it will happen in 2045. The point is: Arm yourself with love, flood your heart with compassion, and speak your mind. Always.

Be strong. Living for over a century is not for the weak of heart. Hell will come at you when you least expect it, but know that God will be there too. He’ll send angels on earth to comfort you. He always has. And you will survive. Even hell has its limits.

Keep your faith strong. Do you think God would have given us this crazy butt-kicking writing dream slash talent if He didn’t expect us to use it? Would I have made it on the list of Intergalactic Wordsmith Masters if I didn’t believe I could? Believe, woman. Don’t let the fools convince you that you won’t make it. I may be gritty and sassy, but I assure you, I am no fool.

Which leads us to today. Stop fretting over that rejection. Sweet Heaven, you’re going to get at least a thousand of them, might as well make some peace with those bad boys. Each rejection moves you closer to becoming the writer you always wanted to be. Listen to the naysayers, but don’t let them wallop you. Shield our dream in a safe place so that we can succeed.

And believe me, we DO succeed. Gotta run. My broadcast interview is on Mars today and afterwards I’m taking the great-grandbabies for triple-decker chocolate sundaes. Great things, like dark chocolate, never go out of style.

Kisses.

Readers: What would 100-Year-Old YOU tell yourself?

http://kimberleytroutte.com/

16 comments:

jeff7salter said...

very interesting concept. I wish you'd have written more abaout this conversation with your 100-yr-old self.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, Jeff.
She's far wiser than I am today.

Care to take a stab at what your old-dude self would share with young and handsome you?

C.C. Wiley said...

This is a great idea! I've heard about interviewing your characters but never your 100-year-old self. I'm just hanging on today with my fingernails. This conversation was something I really needed to "hear" this morning. You and your rock'n self are amazing.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Ah, C.C. sorry things are a bit jagged for you right now. Maybe your cool and super smart 100-year-old self would like to share what's really important (from her side of things).
Whatever the case, you rock too!
Hang in there.
Maybe let a friend buy you a coffee and scone.
Thank you for stopping by!

Tiffany N. York said...

Biting your tongue only gives you a sore tongue...I love that -- it's so true!

My 100-yr-old self would tell me that Yes, I really was that thin 20 yrs ago and I should have appreciated it!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Tiffany,

I have s feeling that your snazzy old self will STILL be thin. And by then we'll all be allowed to eat as much chocolate as we want and never gain an ounce!

Jean Marie Ward said...

Great post, Kim!
100-year-old-you is right, you know. Rejections are the deposits in the Great Litter Box of life. Dispose of them and keep going. :-)
Why yes, the Feline Overlord is hanging off my left arm as I type. Why do you ask?

Kimberley Troutte said...

Feline Overlord!!! Snort.
What a wise kitty. My doggie on the other hand is in the dog house for peeing all over the garage last night. Oy! Nasty way to wake up.
Anyway...

Will take your advice and that of the kitty and dump that stinky stuff in the trash. Moving on as we speak.

Jean Marie Ward said...

Yes, F.O. is wise. And he is fluffy. It's an unbeatable combination. :-)

Kimberley Troutte said...

F.O. sounds adorable.
I'd probably have to obey him too.

jeff7salter said...

I'll have to give that some thought, Kimberley. I know one thing he'd say: "take better care of your BACK".
LOL

Kimberley Troutte said...

That's a good one, Jeff.

Mine would probably remind present-day me to make time to exercise everyday (even when I don't feel like it). Kinda like today.
And to take my vitamins (even when I hate to swallow those nasty fish oil pills--shiver)
Oh, and to laugh, as much as possible.
Take care of your back, Jeff--that one's from me.

Xakara said...

There are many wonderful things in this visit, but I have to say the best is knowing that despite the current projections, dark chocolate is still abundant in 2065!

And she's right, whatever the email says, it doesn't matter. There's so much more to come! :)

(((Hugs)))

~X

Kimberley Troutte said...

There had better be an abundance of dark chocolate in the future! I'm counting on it.

Thanks for the encouragement, Xakara.

C. R. Bailey said...

"You should never have skipped the sunscreen," my 100-year-old self said. "But we can't lift that saggy skin now. What we CAN do is tell more stories. Tell stories profligately. Tell the hidden stories. Tell the stories that hurt. Once they're told, you'll be free to create beautiful new worlds. Remember, redemption is always on the horizon."

Kimberley Troutte said...

Oh, Chris...

"Tell the hidden stories. Tell the stories that hurt. Once they're told, you'll be free to create beautiful new worlds. Remember, redemption is always on the horizon."

I love it.

It's amazing, isn't it, how telling those stories that hurt can create such beauty? I agree with your beautiful, sunny old self. Don't stop telling those stories.