07 December 2011

Holiday Traditions

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ♫♪♫♪ Okay, not so much here in Ohio. In fact, the news people just informed us that this year alone Ohio received 69 inches of rain, making it the wettest year ever for us Ohioans. But it's December and my tree is up and so I sing that song.

I know not everyone celebrates Christmas, per se, but I think most people celebrate the holiday season in some way. And I'm betting that most people have some sort of tradition, something they do year in and year out in December that marks the holiday as something special.

For the Cullen Clan, we do a lot of things. There's the Annual Cookie Baking, which always stresses me out because everyone wants their favorite and there's NO WAY we can eat all thosecookies without looking like the Michelin man in January. Then there's the Putting Up of the Tree which entails lots and lots of boxes and lots of trips up and down the basement stairs.

But I think my most favorite tradition is the Buying of the Ornaments. Since we were married, oh so long ago, my husband and I have bought an ornament each year for each other. The ornament entails much thought and planning because it has to be the right ornament. It can't be something plucked off the shelf. It has to have meaning for both of us. As each child came along, the tradition grew and now we have enough ornaments to fill several trees.

Each year we pull out our boxes and we unwrap the ornaments and we reminisce about the past. You won't find a simple red or green ball on our tree. No, our tree is filled with Spongebob Squarepants and Star Wars figurines and Matchbox cars and American Girl Doll replicas. Each and every ornament means something to us.

My husband and I always said that when the kids move out they can take their ornaments with them to start their own trees. But, you know, I'm starting to rethink that. I think I might keep them to remember.

So what is your favorite holiday tradition?

ps - My paranormal romance, Her Dark Knight, released last week. If you like a hunky Knight Templar and a touching love story that spans seven-hundred-years, check it out.

7 comments:

christine warner said...

Hi Sharon, We have that tradition too! I have one child that has moved out and I did ask her if she wanted her ornaments, but she said not until she's more settled. And I have to admit I was kind of relieved. LOL Though I bought them for the kids, I'll be sad when they finally do want to take them because not only are they memories for them, but me as well. As for other traditions, there are so many, but the ornament one is the most special.

Kristina Knight said...

LOVE that tradition, Sharon! We've been doing that since bebe came along. So fun to look thru the ornaments every year.

My favorite tradition is sitting around the table at Thanksgiving dinner and saying what we're thankful for...and at Christmas we tweak it a little and each pick on person - and say why we're thankful for that person.

Neecy said...

Great tradition Sharon. We have an advent count down calendar. I use to collect bulbs, but one year my DH decided he wanted a real tree and he'd didn't need my help putting it in the stand. Okay I thought, but the next day my fully decorated tree was on the floor, bulbs broken along with my heart. We got married on 19th of December, so we had many bulbs from relatives and friends, shattered on the floor. Within the last 5 or 6 years, Elf on the Shelf has entered our home and the kids love him, so that has been a lot of fun too.
Merry Christmas,
Neecy

Sharon Cullen said...

Elf on a Shelf came along too late for my kids. They're all pre-teens and teens now. But they would have loved it!

Kristina - I like your Thanksgiving tradition.

Christine - Not sure I'll be able to give those ornaments up. They may have to start their own tradition. LOL

Jean Marie Ward said...

Big congrats on the new release, Sharon!
I know exactly what everyone means about "ornament creep". Greg and I used to give each other a new ornament every year. It's always been just the two of us, but we, too, now have too many ornaments, even for a 7.5 foot tree. :-)

Kimberley Troutte said...

Oooh, Sharon. Your book sounds great.
Congrats.

D'Ann said...

Awesome tradition! I love it!