04 August 2013

Vacation Brain

I can't believe it's August. Where the heck did July go?

In one short month my kids will be going back to school and it feels like they just left.

I like that they're gone during the day, but I also enjoy not having to take them to school and pick them up.

I liked sleeping in, even for an hour.

Now summer is slipping away. *wah* I'm not ready for Fall and Winter yet.

So, I thought I'd share some photos of my camping excursion to Sandbanks Provincial Park near Picton, Ontario.

This is where my father's family landed when they came to Canada. I also, living only 2.5 hrs away from it, spent most of my summers here. Then I got married and lived about 5 hrs from it. :(

So my kids and DH had never been.

We all had a blast.


Walking over the large white sand dunes.


The beach in the morning. Lake Ontario so calm. It's a beautiful, shallow sandbar.


Campsite in the early morning.


The perfect sandcastle!


You can find out more about Amy at her website.

Or on Twitter @ruttanamy.

7 comments:

A. Catherine Noon said...

Oh, my, Amy; that's the most awesome sand castle I've seen in a long time! Brava!

I know what you mean about time passing so quickly. It feels like it was just Candlemas and it's already Lughnasad. ~howl~

Thank you for sharing your camping pictures; the place looks just lovely!

Jean Marie Ward said...

What an awesome sand castle. Great vacation recap, too. It almost makes me want to go camping. Is there a site with room--er, tent service? ;-)
Congratulations on a wonderful trip!

A. Catherine Noon said...

What is it with you non-campers? Honestly, I don't get it. I have other friends who say camping is in a 3 star hotel. :) But I love camping. I've done it since I was a kid; my dad and I would car camp - which means, find a good campsite that you drive up to, and bring all the amenities and the tent and stuff, and just sit in a chair and read, swim, or hike around. I mean, I did learn to backpack and my hub and I did an Outward Bound, but camping doesn't have to equal roughing it.

I swear. I'm going to schedule a BtV retreat and we'll all go camping up in Newburg where there's a youth hostel if you REALLY can't stomach sleeping in a tent. :) I promise, Jean Marie, it's loads of fun. You haven't lived until you've fought a stellar jay for your ziplock of cornnuts.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Erm, that's supposed to say "cornnuts", not "comnuts". I'm not sure what the latter is. Peanuts left over by the snacking night guardsman who is supposed to watch the server room?

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I enjoy the recreational activities involved in camping just fine, but sleeping on the ground, outhouses (or pits) and nowhere to cool off if it's 90 degrees are a big fat booooooooooooo for me! I can easily live without many technological comforts of modern civilization...temporarily...as long as I get to keep indoor plumbing, beds and a/c heheh.

A. Catherine Noon said...

So what y'all are sayin' is Amy and I will be out by the campfire roasting hot dogs and s'mores while y'all are inside being delicate?

Hmph. Amy, c'mon. Let's go for a hike. :)

Jean Marie Ward said...

I'll be with Jody, in the AC, out of the sun, dialing food delivery on my phone. All the comforts of home! :D