16 September 2013

September Mom

September brings new beginnings and fresh starts.

It also comes with a twinge of sadness for me because I like having my kids home for summer break. I enjoy going for walks with them, swimming, exploring the mountains and beaches. I relish our time together because it is so fleeting, so special. And time slows for no mom.

Oh boy. I have a feeling this might be a tough year for me. My eldest son just turned eighteen and will be graduating from high school and going to college while my youngest will be graduating from eighth grade and going on to high school.

I am so excited for them. Do you remember how you felt at these life-junctures? I do. I was a little scared and homesick, but I was excited too, thrilled actually, to be on my way.

I’m sure my boys feel the same. The great big world is in front of them with thousands of paths to take full of twists, turns, ups and downs.  Everything is exciting and bright. First loves, new friends and adventure await them and all they have to do is step off the roost and flap their wings.

Me? I’ll be back here in the old nest waving good-bye. Oh Lord, I choke up at the thought. I’m so not handling this well. Any suggestions on how to get through it?

I know in the end I will handle it because that's my job as Mom. I’ve prepared them and it is just about time for those chickies to fly. And with all my heart I want them to soar, looping in and out of the fluffy clouds seeing the world like never before. They know that I’ll always be with them. I’m not going anywhere. I’m the rock, the safe spot, the landing place.

They’ll hear me in their thoughts—would Mom want me to do this? They’ll see me at their doorstep should they need me and when they think they don’t. I’ll arrive with chicken soup and Tylenol when they get sick. I’ll weep all over their tuxedos at their weddings. I’ll be gripping their shaky hands when their babies are born.

I am in their wings, their memories, their hearts.


I am Mom.

6 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Ch-ch-changes...
Not to worry, Kimberley. You and the boys will do great! And they'll enjoy the scary parts. ;-)80

Kimberley Troutte said...

I love that song!

Thanks, Jean Marie. I might need a little hand holding along the way. Your hands available?

Anya Richards said...

Awesome post, Kimberley! But remember how you felt that first day of Kindergarten? The urge to cry, to hang on to them even as you're peeling their little hands off your neck or legs? How you went home and had a little weep that day?

Then how, two weeks later, you were almost rushing them out the door, because you knew you'd get a bunch of stuff done while they were gone?

It's like that with all the turning points! My youngest just came back after being gone all summer and I'm happy to have him back, but the blessed quiet while he was gone...priceless. LOL! It's so nice to see them when they come to visit, but I'm a pretty happy (almost) empty nester :)

Jean Marie Ward said...

My hands are always available, even if they are a little on the chill side. (Our neighbors used to make jokes about "nightcrawlers". Then they died. Mwahahaha!) But I suspect Anya is right. You won't need anybody to hold your hand very long. :-)

Kimberley Troutte said...

OMG, Anya, I had such a time of it when the oldest went to kindergarten and the baby turned one. I had this crazy notion that they wouldn't need me as much anymore and what would I do with all my time? Huh, write maybe? LOL. I do enjoy the quiet hours when they are at school and I can get words on the page.

I've enjoyed every step along the way. I'm sure this will be great too. I'll have to join you in the pretty happy (almost) empty nester club.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Ahh, I could use some cold hands on me. I am hot all the time these days. And not always in a super-sexy way. :-)

Thanks for the pick me up, guys.