15 March 2014

Is Winter Over Yet?

Yes, I'm am most definitely whining. :)

Our area has smashed all records for total snowfall this year! And I know exactly why - we made plans, and God laughed.

When my daughter picked a wedding date last year, the past several winters had been mild and nearly snow-less. Late February will be perfect, we said. The weather will be cool but starting to warm up, we said.

We had snow up to our arses and sub-zero cold.

Well, she said she wanted a winter wedding!

Everything went well, and I'm trying not to feel old when I say I have a son-in-law! Next thing you know they'll be plopping a grandkid in my lap. Heh.

Between spurts of wedding madness I've been watching historical documentaries on Youtube to get me in the mndset of Victorian/Civil War era characters. I have to say, the Brits really know how to produce an historical documentary. I've learned more about Victorian-era medicine (which is pretty hair-raising) than I ever thought possible. Here are a few of my favorites. Caution, they're NOT for the faint of heart!

Pain, Pus, and Poison: The Search for Modern Medicines, Part 1 - Pain
Pain, Pus, and Poison: The Search for Modern Medicines, Part 2 - Pus
Pain, Pus, and Poison: The Search for Modern Medicines, Part 3 - Poison
The Victorian Pharmacy

I also have been messing around with a new camera, and the result is a couple of new videos of my dachshunds so NOT enjoying the deep, deep snow. The first one is Fidget, the second is Heidi. Both went racing out the door in pursuit of squirrels, only to find themselves facing a long slog back to the house.



Well, time to get out my pub-crawling shoes and start applying shamrock temporary tattoos! Everyone have a safe and fun St. Patrick's Day weekend! I'll leave you with this touching Irish blessing:

"As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction."

Slainte!
Carolan

www.carolanivey.com
Youtube channel:  http://www.youtube.com/user/carolanivey


No comments: