28 November 2014

Chaos killed ... and resurrected ... the muse

For the past three months -- or maybe longer -- I've felt as though my head is spinning. Chaos tends to be a great mental-wall builder; not such a good story builder.

That is, until after the chaos subsides. Just a bit. Just enough for me to string more than one thought together at a time. At that point, chaos can help me build characters...even worlds...and everything that happens within. Life inspires me with all its little twists and turns; highs and lows. Putting those emotions evoked and experiences lived into words is what makes me a writer. Practice, as in anything, is what makes me better and better.

Sometimes the chaos also breathes new life into my imagination and my stable of characters. For instance, I am probably the furthest thing from my heroine in One Little Slip. I do not wear sky-high heels and I rarely have the confidence to be bitchy to anyone ... well, except my family. ;) But I learn from frustration. I feel the same sort of pent-up rage at unfairness. I've worn three-inch heels in the past and watch other women as they deftly walk in the amazing shoes so popular today. And then, I manage to create a character so unlike myself that I previously would have thought it impossible. But hopefully she's one to whom others can relate. Throw in a ghost or two and a sexy hero, then you have yourself a nice little novella with a paranormal twist.

Chaos, then, is a good thing. It makes you feel alive. It makes you appreciate the mundane. And it can make you a better human being -- even a better artist.

Need a break from your own holiday chaos? Then join us on a small, secluded island for a little bit of weirdness and a lot of romance.




My contribution to this lovely anthology was both fun and difficult to write. But I really enjoyed the challenge. :)

One Little Slip
(c)2014 Meg Allison
It’s a recipe for disaster…
Combine a haunted house in paradise, one injured warrior, and a woman hell-bent on standing on her own four-inch heels.
Fiona Reid expected to spend her free vacation at a five-star resort, not in a dilapidated plantation house straight out of the nineteenth century. She certainly didn’t expect the forced close company of one handsome and slightly infuriating security agent.
Julio Alvarez needs to let his wounds heal, and get back to his familiar life. The last thing he needs is a prickly brunette in killer shoes and ghosts that do his bidding.
Meg Allison
http://megallisonauthor.com





No comments: