02 August 2012

Gibbs vs. Longmire

Our theme for the month centers around characters and threw me straight into the horns of a dilemma.  Who is my favorite character on television right now, Gibbs or Longmire?


Well, let's see.  Mark Harmon plays Gibbs as quiet, reserved, dedicated, intense.  Robert Taylor plays Longmire as quiet, reserved, dedicated, intense.


I guess it's a good thing they're not on television at the same time.  NCIS was voted "America's Favorite TV Show" and has just been renewed for the 10th season starting September 25, 2012.  (Wikipedia article "NCIS", accessed 08/01/2012.)  It airs on Tuesdays nights on CBS.  Longmire is a new show on A&E and airs on Sunday nights; episodes are available on the A&E website.  

Shows that I really love (Firefly, Dollhouse, Alcatraz) don't seem to stay around on television very long.  It's rare that I fall in love with a "popular" show (I loathed Seinfeld, for example).  I'm pleased that NCIS is being renewed and am enjoying going through the episodes through Netflix.  The season finale of last season was a doozie (I won't type the spoiler here, but fans who saw it will be with me when I say I'm on the edge of my seat to find out what happens).  

Longmire is a little different.  It centers around a small-town sheriff who lost his wife and his focus, but is now getting the focus back.  Set in rural Wyoming, it involves the local Cheyenne tribe as well as encroaching Mexican drug cartels and Amish families.  I like its twist on the traditional police procedural and how it portrays different cultures with a penetrating and more realistic eye than I've seen done previously.

What about you?  What's your favorite characters to watch this season?

2 comments:

A. Catherine Noon said...

I just got my Series 7 disks from Netflix. I'm so excited! The season premier is sizzling. Sizzling, I tell you!

Jean Marie Ward said...

My current favorite is a long-running Italian mystery series, Montalbano, shown on MHZ Networks. It's set in Sicily, and although my mother insisted to her dying day that my family was NOT Sicilian, watching that show is like being transported to my childhood--the way people talk, the way they think, the way they act. As it happens, my family isn't from Sicily. (They're actually from Basilacata and Abruzzi.) But day-um, it's a funny trip down memory lane.