03 August 2007

Best Werewolf Movies

I don't like scary movies. I love werewolf movies. I like vampires, too, but that's not today's topic.


Ghosts? Uh-uh. No sir. Those are scary. Because there is this .0001% of me that believes they might possibly exist, I can’t handle them. Why aren’t they where they belong? There’s nothing more they can do here. You’re dead – Get ye gone!

But vampires and werewolves – since they don’t exist, they can’t scare me.

When Underworld came out, I nearly passed out with glee.

I laughed and giggled all the way through Cursed, where this chick (Christina Ricci) and her brother get bitten because the werewolf thinks she’ll make a good mate. Right until she stabs him with a silver pie server. That’s priceless.

An American Werewolf in London? The ultimate Horror-Comedy. A laugh a minute. An American Werewolf in Paris was funny, but not dark enough.

I hooted my way through Dog Soldiers, too. Gruesome, gory fun. Look! A leg!

And really, who could hate a movie called Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. Yeah, it’s bad. Cheesy, awful bad. But still. You have to give them points for the title. Also, Christopher Lee is in it. He’s just so…so…Christopher Lee!

Wolf, with Jack Nicholson and James Spader had some truly fun moments. James Spader is sneakily sexy – and never more so with glowing golden eyes.

Silver Bullet – well, there just aren’t that many great Stephen King movies. And I’m too big a fraidy-cat to read his books, so I have to take my King where I can get him. The creepy preacher/werewolf loses an eye to a kid in a wheelchair with a Roman Candle. And who ever imagined Anne of Green Gables in a horror flick?

Teen Wolf is the other side of the coin from I Was a Teenage Werewolf. There’s no pair of movies more diametrically opposed. From Michael Landon’s classmates going “Eeek! It’s a werewolf!” to Michael J. Fox’s classmates going “Oooh! Back hair turns me on!” Both prizewinners. Though if you’re smart, you’ll skip the painfully unfunny Teen Wolf 2. Ouch.

The only one of these I haven’t seen, though I’d love to, is Blood and Chocolate. Reviews say it’s a beautiful film and I’m looking forward to catching it someday.

All these films, in all their varying levels of brilliance and cheesiness, however, pay homage to the ultimate werewolf classic, The Wolf Man. Lon Chaney Jr is the tragic hero, transformed by a Gypsy curse, doomed to destroy those he loves. It’s a fantastic bit of movie magic, especially as Chaney carries on his father’s gift of being able to transform himself into a creature of the night. Must See Movie.

What's on your list of Must See Werewolf Movies?

12 comments:

raine said...

Agree with your list. ;-)

Lon Chaney's film is timeless. I used it for research when writing one of my own, and found myself watching it again and again.

Also loved "Wolf"--and the fact that Nicholson probably needed very little makeup, lol!

Mima said...

I liked brotherhood of the wolf. sort of, as a pretty action flick. blood and chocolate was a kickass book. read it instead of the movie. skinwalkers comes out soon. doesn't look too promising tho.

Sela Carsen said...

I'd forgotten about Skinwalkers, mima! I'm willing to give it a shot. And I'm considering reading BFC, too.

Wolf had a lot of great details, Raine. The lack of really bad special effects for one!

Sandra said...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Skinwalkers. Even if it turns out to be a cheesy sci-fi flick that should have gone straight to tv, it will still be worth it. I'm wanting to see it just for the fact that the lead bad guy, played good guy, Max Evans, on the tv show Roswell. Plus I love werewolves.

Loved the movie Cursed. Always watch it if it comes on tv.

Blood and Chocolate, for me at least, wasn't what I thought it would be.

Loved watching Brotherhood of the Wolf.

The American Werewolf movies, loved both of those. I laughed during the second one every time the hero came running out in his underwear.

I love watching the Howling movies. Keeps me entertained.

The Underworld movies, I just never liked them. One, Kate not my favorite actress. Two, she never showered or changed her clothes. Especially after she had sex with Michael. I wanted to give her a comb too. Three, I wanted the bad guys to win. Whenever the hubby and I watch this movie, he also accuses me of being too picky. I shrug and tell him that I can't help it.

Rhonda Helms said...

ROFL--nice...I've seen Brotherhood of the Wolf and Teen Wolf, and American Werewolf in Paris or whatever it's called...

Sela Carsen said...

Ok, how have I missed Brotherhood of the Wolf? It's on my To Watch list now.

Carolan Ivey said...

[[Gruesome, gory fun. Look! A leg!]]

ROFL! That's how we are when we watch these movies. :)

"EEeewww! His eyes just exploded! Sweeeeeet!!"

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Did any of you ever see that short lived TV series, Wolf Lake? We (hubby and I) liked it pretty well. It was just starting to pick up the pace when they canceled it, of COURSE.

Jody

Sela Carsen said...

LOL Carolan!

I remember Wolf Lake -- I watched it for Lou Diamond Phillips. Yummy!

Margo Lukas said...

Yippy, I'm so glad I took a break from county fair prep to come online today.

Haven't seen "Cursed" or "Blood and Chocolate" or "BRotherhood of the Wolf". Now my Netflix queue is going to get longer :)

Has anyone seen the "Ginger Snaps" movies? I've heard about them and was wondering if they were any good.

I enjoyed "Dog Soldiers" when I watched it a few months ago and I'm ususally not one for that much gore. I thought they were going to make a sequel, but who knows with movies anymore. Maybe it was only the Scottish and British accents that I liked...

Have a great weekend and thanks for the cool topic, Sela.
~Margo

Unknown said...

I hated Blood and Chocolate, mainly because the movie was based on the book and turned out to be NOTHING like the book. It was very disappointing. However, I would've liked it more, had it not been based on the book.

Just recently watched Cursed. Liked it.

Wolf was awesome. One of my favs.

And Underworld...yes...

Dog Soliders is still on the top of my list.

Van Helsing! True, it had alot of different elements in it, but I loved Hugh Jackman as a werewolf. The scene where he holds the dead woman (Kate Beckinsale) in the light of the moon, throwing back his head in a howl as he changes back from wolf to human...it gets me every time.

Sela Carsen said...

Somewhere else, someone said they really liked Ginger Snaps. So it's a definite possibility.

Blood and Chocolate. Seems that if you know the book, you hate the movie. So I'll have to watch it first, then read the book!

Carolan, I just finished watching From Dusk Til Dawn for the umpteenth time and when one vampire's eyes exploded, I laughed and went, "Sweeeeeet!"