01 November 2007

Thirteen Things about JODY WALLACE





Thirteen Things about JODY WALLACE




1 - Tell us a little bit about yourself and your life?
I'm a stay at home writer mom who doesn't clean or do yard work, butI'm an excellent dancer (in the kitchen), I can type 1-handed, and I can restrain a 1 year old with one arm and a 5 year old with the other while brainstorming on the telephone with a critique partner.


2 - When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?
When I got to college and my professor told me I was too much of a weirdo to be a psychiatrist. That and my knee-jerk avoidance of college level math classes nudged me into my so-useful MFA in creativewriting. I have that sheepskin around here somewhere. I think the tube it's in is propping up one of the shelves in kid #1's closet.


3 - How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?
I'm still, as they say, waiting for the spaghetti to stick to thewall. Okay, maybe "they" don't say it, but Grannie did. I've written sf/f, paranormal romance, and humorous women's fiction; my favorite would be a spotted hybrid of the three. Why spotted? I don't know. Seems like hybrids are often spotted, doesn't it? Or infertile, but I haven't noticed that side-effect so far. Right now I'm picturing a ratty, wire-haired terrier mutt with a lot of energy and a strange,unexpected appeal, a dog you take home with you even though you didn't WANT a dog. Which I can't argue with -- I don't want a dog, either. I'm a cat person.


4 - Star Wars or Star Trek?
Firefly! (Woohoo! EC)


5 - What would you say are the biggest challenges that you face ?
Balancing home and career. And the stack of dishes from lunch long enough to get them to the sink safely, even though the Drool Monster is clinging to my legs and yelling. I can't tell if she wants more food or a clown show.


6 - What would you say has been your most significant achievement as awriter?
The fact I'm still chasing it down like an escaped housecat after two high risk pregnancies and a lot of rejections.


7 - The deadlines are all met, and the manuscript is delivered, whatdo you do to relax and give yourself a break?
Start the next book! The first 1/3 is always sheer pleasure. I also update http://www.meankitty.com/ and read my friends' books.


8 - What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Find a good nag circle, aka critique group -- nag yourself to write and critique, nag them to send you more chapters and critiques, and in turn they'll nag you for the same things. Also, research publishing opportunities very carefully before signing on the line. Speaking of which, why do they say "dotted line"? It's never dotted.


9 - What kinds of books do you like to read? Who is your favorite author?
I read the same stuff I write -- sf/f, romance, women's fiction. I'vebeen on an urban fantasy kick lately, which is easy to do because the market is on an urban fantasy kick. I also read a lot of Teletubbies,fairy tales, baby faces board books, and Dr. Seuss. My favorite is anything that has lift-a-flaps because it holds the baby's interestthe longest. Until she rips them off and eats them, but hey, quick lunch!


10 - What is your latest book about?
The book due from Samhain in early 2008 is A SPELL FOR SUSANNAH. It's a grown up version of the 12 Dancing Princesses. By grown up I don'tmean erotic, though one has to wonder what those naughty princesses got up to in the secret castle with all those men! I've also got a bonafide erotic romance under my pen name, Ellie Marvel, out inDecember 2007 from Red Sage Publishing. In "Heat", a futuristic romance in SECRETS Volume 22, a beta male alien has to juggle going into heat and his tomboy best friend's little problem at her job in the mines. I adore beta males when they're forced out of their comfort zones by their love for the heroine.


11 - What will your next book be about?
I'm working on a light urban fantasy wherein the heroine can see lies.Handy skill, right? Not when she uses her mysterious talent for...absolutely nothing! Except finding out whether or not she really looks fat in these pants. Luckily for my readers, within the first chapter, the paranormal underground finds out what she can do, and she has to face up to some of the lies she's been telling herself.


12 - It's a special night - cook in, or eat out?
OUT. Someone else to cook, someone else to do the dishes, and someone else to babysit the kids.


13 - Now for the most important question - what do you believe makes a booksexy?
My name on the cover. In the author spot, not the title, because I seriously doubt my (auto)biography would be sexy. Maybe funny, if we exaggerate a lot.






Find out more about Jody by visiting her website at http://www.jodywallace.com/




Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to get to know Jody, I will be blogrolling this blog group on my book review site as a way for others to connect..Check out my T13 though on my personal blog ~>http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/
I am also doing my first NaNoWriMo, would love a naggroup :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sassy!
Good luck with NaNo - I'm not actively joining the NaNo group this month, I've got to much going on to keep up with one more website. But I've got a goal of 55,000 words anyway >G<.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Awesome 13, Ember! That's a great way to promote a new author. Mind if I steal it from time to time? The idea, I mean. Not the author (yet).

Cathy in AK said...

It's always fun to get to know a little more about folks. Thanks for a great post.

And Jody, about that first part of number 8? Ahem...consider yourself nagged : )

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. Thanks for sharing.

Edie Ramer said...

Jody, your wip sounds like just the kind of book I want to read. I'll be picking up your Samhain book too. How can I resist a story about a man going into heat?

Sela Carsen said...

I *heart* Firefly. And Captain Tightpants is delish!!

Great TT, Jody and Ember!