23 June 2008

Interesting Detours

Ok, I originally wrote this post at about six this morning. When I hit publish it said, "Danger Will Robinson - Blog cannot be posted!" - Actully it was more like, "An Error Occurred" but that's not really as fun or exciting as my take, so go with me on this. Still, I lost the entire blog, and became very upset, cursing the air blue and shaking my fist to the internet Gods who have morbid senses of humor at inopportune times. And since the autosave feature seemed to not work either, I'm trying to recreate the post. My brain is a sieve - I don't think this will work.

Anyhoo, I wrote a humorous post about the little detours I seem to take while doing research. I don't know if I can recapture the levity of the original, but perhaps I can bring you over to the darkside of detours.

Yesterday, I was thumbing through a book of demons and other subversive spirits, looking for a name I could use in my hot erotic paranormal romance (which just so happens is beginning to read like a hot erotic paranormal romantic comedy thanks to my characters putting their two cents in at every turn). But as I'm looking through my reference book, I stumbled across a little tidbit of folklore that was so inviting, I stopped to read it and watched as my imagination took off like a intercontinental ballistic missle. Now, I do not lack for ideas by any stretch. I have enough story files on deck to keep me in plot lines until at least 2020. So, you can imagine how being hit with another flash of creativity wasn't so much a "Voila" as an "Oh no."

Quite honestly, I have a hard time concentrating on the current WIPs when other ideas are swimming around like hungry sharks. I need to get an outline written, explore where the story goes or it will bug the pure shit out of me until I do, clogging up my brain pan and making it impossible to make any headway on the projects I'm supposed to be working on. (Breath). However, I do like the folklore and idea and can see where I can take it to the backdrop of one of my favorite eerie places on earth already rich in folklore: the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

So, when am I going to get to this idea that is tapping me on the shoulder and jumping up and down in place? I haven't the foggiest. All I know is, it's tucked away for future use, or if a special project comes along that attracts my attention and fits the idea.

Take the detours. Let your imagination run wild. You might just find yourself sitting on your next big best-seller.

-Kat

2 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Oh, man, I've had this happen soooo many times, I now write all my blog posts in a word processor first! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post. And thanks for the reminder to write my blog entry before posting :D
Pat