20 September 2008

Playing with toys

Most of us never outgrow a desire for toys. We may stop calling them toys - talking about our hobbies, our passions, or our games. And then we play with our pots and pans, seeds and trowels, cameras, or video games. What are these things but toys for grownups?

Some of them are tools as well. To the chef, a $75 knife is a necessity. To a professional photographer, the next generation DSLR camera is a tool. But to most of us, any knife would get the vegetables chopped; any point-and-shoot camera would capture the moment and save it in print. Getting the shiniest and most accessory loaded version is just another way to have a more enjoyable toy for the job.

I do love my toys. In the kitchen, it's my name brand mixer, my french press, and my satisfyingly heavy Dutch oven. A Florida garden is a bit to hot and humid for me to have ever fallen in love with it as a potential playbox – my tomatoes are a hearty bunch, forced to live or die with minimal gardener assistance - but cameras and tech gadgets I have aplenty. And then there's my secret stash.

toys

Not the books. The little people down in front.

smtoys

They keep me company in the still, quiet mornings when it is just my keyboard and me, watching when my fingers fly and when they droop. They’ve acted out hundreds of scenes, and there’s times when I don’t really know if the words came from them or me.

One went missing once.

dragon

I found him, in another room of the house. I’d like to think he took to his wings and went searching for adventure, but it is much more likely he was helped on his way by sticky fingers and a first grader’s curiosity. The first grader has now been told to keep her fingers to herself.

~~~

Last time I posted here, I was about to head off to San Francisco for the RWA conference. Now it’s time to share some of the books that came home with me!

rwagiveaway

Want to win this supernatural book package? It’s easy enough. Leave me a comment here, telling me what your favorite toy is. Or drop me an email at ember@embercase.com with “Toy” in the subject.

Deadline for entry is Sept 24th; winner announced Sept 25th. Please make sure you leave a valid email address so I can get ahold of you to send you your prize.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't think my favorite toy is exactly what you had in mind, so instead I will say I still love a stuffed dog I've had since I was a toddler. Amazingly enough it's still in great condition.

Deborah said...

There's only room for one toy in my heart: My laptop. As if I needed to tell you that! (And I'm recusing myself from the contest, since you've already been more than generous with me this year when it comes to books. :) )

mamasand2 said...

Ember, that's a hard one. I would have said it was my pc and it's link to Samhaincafe. BUT, I think I am going to have to say it's the eBookwise I won a few months ago. It makes all the ebooks I've gotten this year portable. I've always carried a paperback with me when going out but now I have the option of taking an ebook.

sandie

Anonymous said...

MY fav toy is my read and write programme its opened up a new world for me

it helps me read as im dyslexic

Kammie said...

My favorite toy is my laptop. I have found so much laughter, made new friends and learned so much from browsing around the websites on the net.

I also have a few stationary friends (tiny bear, frog, wolf, a little doll etc.) on my bookshelves that watch over me.

Anonymous said...

It has to be my mp3 or CD player. When I can't carry a book, why not listen to one?

ylin.0621[at]yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

My favorite toy is my Palm Tungsten. I love having tons of books right in my purse. I'm sure these posts aren't the sort of toys you had in mind. LOL! But I don't have any of those kind of toys. Just hubby!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Well, if we're talking the types of toys that tend to show up in other areas of the house, I've got to vote for my gnomes :). My next favorite aside from the writer's typical favorite of the laptop/computer combo is the Wii. Wiiiiiii love to play!

smdrm said...

My favorite "toy" has got to be my computer. With a few keystrokes, I can do an endless number of things that keep me from doing those jobs I should be doing! Or I can use it for work and household duties, like check balancing, and get something important accomplished. My computer also gives me east instant access to those I love the most - my many-miles-away family.

Anonymous said...

I actually keep a couple of toys — mostly figurines — on my desk, just to have something to play with while I'm waiting on something. I even have a miniature Yoda.

thursday at thursdaybram dot com

Anonymous said...

My absolute favorite toy is my phone =]I love that it's part mp3 player and I love to lose myself in listening to music.

lidochinkywinky@msn.com

Anonymous said...

My absolute favorite toy is my phone =]I love that it's part mp3 player and I love to lose myselflistening to music.

lidochinkywinky@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.