30 January 2009

Future destination...

While I haven't read one in ages, I used to love time travel romance. Usually the plot involved the heroine going to the past...falling in love...bringing the hero back to the future where they lived happily ever after. Simplistic synopsis, true, but it was a popular theme with few variations.

Reading such a story often made me wonder: Would I go back into the past if I could? Where? When? And how long would it take me to miss the modern conveniences of life?

If we're talking indoor plumbing and computers, not long.

It's funny, however, that years later I'd be hard-pressed to tell you the title of even one of those stories. I've racked my brain...but nothing. I do remember a few movies that used such a plot. One in particular: "Somewhere in Time" was my favorite for years. More recently I've come to adore the more action-packed version of the time travel plot in movies such as: "Deja Vu" and "Next" -- both excellent movies, btw. (Denzel Washington??? Enough said.)

But back to my original questions... Would I want to go to the past or future? If so, where and when? If I had the choice, would I stay?

I'm still pondering, in truth. While I think the slower pace of the past is appealing, I also deeply appreciate such things as refrigerators, indoor bathrooms, television, eBooks and print books for the masses. Not to mention wonderful REVIEWS. (GGG)

I suppose, in the end, it would depend on my potential hero. For me, it's always about the romance. ;)

But what do you think? If you could time travel, what would be your destination?

2 comments:

azteclady said...

The only time-travel book I recall in detail is Linda Howard's Son of the Morning, and Grace does go back and stay with Niall somewhere in the fourteenth century.

Her friend (whose name I'm blanking on right this second) explains it all:

"Not even for Sean Connery and a big love stick would I give up my modern conveniences" (or words to that effect)

My modern conveniences include hot water and feminine needs stuff (how's that for an euphemism?) but mostly the sheer number of books--in every conceivable topic--available to me, pretty much instantly. I don't think I could do without that.

Karin said...

Oddly enough, that is the question I drew for my oral History of Europe final as a freshman in college. My short answer was: as long as it was only going to be a short trip, I'd like to go see Ancient Rome. There is just something about the Romans that has always fascinated me, knowing that the majority of the modern world stemmed from them. I'd probably be ready to leave after a day or two, though.