11 January 2009

It's all about me this year

Happy New Year! Wow, 2009 already? I had just broken in 2008, it was all nice and comfortable, and now I have to start all over again.

I didn't make any resolutions this year. I usually make a list of things I'd like to do, but this year I just wasn't motivated. The lists for the last two years, pretty much I've made everything happen (except the exercise thing, and I can explain about that!), so I'm pretty happy.

Then a few days after New Year's, I was working on the WIP, and thinking about how far I've come since my first book. A LOOOOOOOONG way. And I decided that I DID need some resolutions in my life. 2009 is going to be all about ME.

1. I resolve to stop letting the internet suck up all my spare time. And by spare, I mean time I should be writing but instead decide to 'just check my email'. Part of sticking to this resolution is really looking at my 'internet committments' and seeing which I really need to keep, and which can GO GO GO. (not this lovely blog, certainly not! Never! I love you guys. You don't suck up my time AT ALL.)

2. Addendum to #1 is to refocus on my career. I'm not renewing one of my 'writing' memberships, because after thinking about it, I wasn't getting anything out of it. I paid a membership fee to pretty much be on an email loop and have my name on their site. It's done nothing for me, so when the membership comes up for renewal, out it goes. Ditto for other email loops that I belong to that I don't really participate in - clean out that emailbox!

3. Write more. I've been working on working, and finishing that second Bachelor's degree, and that has taken up so much of the time I used to use for writing. If I can shake the internet time suck ball-and-chain, I can find time. And I only have two more semesters left, so by the fall I'll be finished. I have two novels that are still sitting here, waiting to be fixed up and submitted. I submitted nothing last year. (on the other hand, I had two ebook releases, so I suppose it all balances out)

4. Addendum to #2: part of refocusing the career is to rejoin SCBWI. Their regional chapter meets at the other end of the state, but at least they send me a magazine once a quarter. I've got four novels now, I should have professional credentials again. AND I'm going to save up and GO to the 2009 spring conference in NYC. This year it's at the same hotel that we're staying in for my sister's wedding. I'm hoping it's there again next year, so I know where I'm going. I was always kind of afraid to go to NYC, especially since I won't drive in the city. But with a dry run this year, I'm sure it will be a piece of cake. I've discovered NJ Transit, and it is GOOD.

5. Work on a new book. The steampunk fairy tale, which started off as a MG but which is now a YA, needs to at least have some notes or an outline (not a real one, but a diagram) this year. The YA trilogy I've had in my head for three years now needs something too. And of course I need to work on the rest of the Library of Athena series. If I could take one of these new books and find an agent, that'd be great too.

6. Not writing related, but I want to find a job. The son will be in school full time in September, I'll be finished that second degree - there's just no reason NOT to work full time. I would love a teaching job, which was the whole reason I went to the trouble of taking the tests last year. I know it's a big order to fill in these times, but I'm going to give it a shot.

There it is, my list of self-centered, all about me, resolutions for 2009. They may not all happen, but most of them are within reach. I hope you reach all your goals this year!

By the way, Shannon over at Confuzzled Books is giving away a signed copy of The Crown of Zeus. All you have to do to enter is comment on the entry. It's open until Feb. 2. Shannon is one of my biggest fans, and I was so happy to see her at the book's launch. So cruise on over there and say hi!

2 comments:

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

#1 can be soooooo hard when I'm in a position to check email, surf blogs, etc, but it would be much more challenging to write, like when I'm alone with the kids! I wish I could focus more when there is chaos around me, but that might be dangerous, too, if I was so zoned out I didn't notice when the house was on fire...

Jody

Karin said...

Sometimes you just need to focus on you. Your resolutions sound good. I hope they all work out for you.