03 July 2009

Independence, Benchmarks, and Other Things That Make You Go WOW!

Today is a holiday for a lot of people in America. It's a chance to get ready for tomorrow's 4th of July Independence Day cookouts, fireworks, and other celebrations. Tomorrow, we'll mark the freedom from tyranny, the liberty of personal choices, and the joy of free speech.


So why wait? Today's a banker's holiday launching it all, so let's start now.


On a personal front, I've passed a benchmark in my career in the last couple of weeks and been welcomed as a professional published author in the RWA circles. It's a humbling and exciting moment for me, but it brought me back to a question I've asked before: When does an author decide they've really "made it?" What validates your writing career?


Is it selling the book of your heart? Last month, Samhain Publishing contracted the book of my heart, ANGELIC AVENGER, for an October release. I'm very excited to go through the process of getting it transformed from a promising manuscript into a book.


Or maybe it's seeing your book leading the Best Seller list? My friend, Vivi Andrews, had her Sexy Shifter release, SERENGETI HEAT, do just that over at the My Bookstore and More. I've enjoyed sharing that benchmark with her. Since I'm a fan of shifter books, I'd like to take a moment to recommend Vivi's release and Kinsey Holley's Sexy Shifter book, KISS AND KIN. They are great reads if you're shopping for a novella to get you through the holiday weekend.


However we, as writers, validate our chosen profession, one thing is true. Independence Day celebrations are doubly important for us. Freedom to write whatever we want without censure is one of the greatest gifts of being an American. Though I doubt the Founding Fathers realized they were blazing a path that would ultimately lead to the choices we enjoy today, I'm certainly glad they marked Free Speech in the Constitution.


So, in the spirit of Independence Day, what are you doing this weekend?


Kaye Chambers

6 comments:

Vivi Andrews said...

Woohoo, freedom of speech! This fourth I'm going to a fireworks show and reading Lorelei James's Miss Firecracker! Very festive. :)

Thanks for the shifter shout out, Kaye!

CJ said...

YAY for good books getting published!! While everyone else is celebrating the 4th, I'll be at work corrupting diets with peach ice cream and reading Batman comics. Happy 4th!!

Jean Marie Ward said...

Congratulations on the PAN nod and the new contract! Cheers and fireworks, Jean Marie

Kaye Chambers said...

Thank you, Jean Marie! I'm still in shock and excited over it all.

Vivi, enjoy the fireworks for me...in the sky and on the pages! And I can't wait to find out what's next for the Three Rocks Pride.

And CJ, fellow Cookie Monster extraordinaire, you're so biased about Bella, but thank you. Enjoy the Batman comics though the heat wave will surely mean you'll be spending more time corrupting diets!

Carolan Ivey said...

I'm going to be wrapping my legs around my man and going for ride.

On his Harley. What did you think I meant? :P [grin]

Kaye Chambers said...

*cracks up at Carolan*

Enjoy the ride for all of us. We've got steaks marinating and fireworks to play with.