28 October 2009

A bit of magic

There're only three more days until Halloween is here. As much as I enjoy the excitement around the day, I'll admit there's a part of me that will be glad when November 1st arrives.

That's the part of me that's had to watch Halloweentown, Halloweentown II : Kalabar's Revenge, Return to Halloweentown, and let's not forget Halloweentown High somewhere near twentytwelve times each this month.





You see, my daughter has discovered magic. She's still not ready for Harry Potter (oy - I just had to go there, didn't I? Probably by next year, if the Universal Theme Park opens this year.) Yet thanks to Disney's Wizards of Waverly Place and their Halloweentown movie series she loves, loves, loves magic. She has spent the past few weeks practicing spellcasting, chanting made up words under her breath, and trying to turn her brother into a frog.



Now Wizards of Waverly Place is actually a pretty ok show. Selena Gomez is a cute, talented teen, and it's one of the few shows that doesn't have whining, annoying, or too-old-for-their-age kids on it. And the Halloweentown movies aren't too bad either - Debbie Reynolds made a pretty nice granny witch, and the movies are just the right touch of scary for a seven year old witch-wanna-be. But please, please, please stop showing the same things over and over and over. It's enough to make me miss Goosebumps, her scary-season fixation from last year.



The Halloweentown movies will be on Disney no less than 14 more times between now and the end of the month, so if you've somehow missed them you've got plenty of chances to make up for the loss. I think it may be time for me to unplug the satellite though. Otherwise I may never make it until November.

2 comments:

Liz Kreger said...

OMG ... you hit a hot spot with the "HalloweenTown" movies. My daughter (age ten) has been constantly watching them. I'm beginning to get a twitch whenever I see them listed.

I'm surprised your daughter isn't into the HP movies yet. My little darlin' has been into them since the first came out and we've probably seen each one at least 50 times. Erin is finally starting to read the books (yay). I've been trying to encourage that from the get-go.

Meg Allison said...

Ember, I can truly relate! However, most of my kids have already outgrown the Halloweentown movies. It's really hard to find good, scary movies that aren't too gorey.

But I love magic, as well. It's something some of us never outgrow. :)