29 May 2010

You Mean I Don’t Get a Sexy Costume?

Thursday night I discovered that I am not Wonder Woman. Nope, no truth lasso, clear airplane, or tight patriotic costume. I’m just me, a slightly off-kilter, somewhat overweight, rather lacking in common sense, human woman. How did I come by this insight? I went to Wal-Mart.

While shopping might not normally be seen as a superhuman escapade, but given the fact that I’d had spinal (neck) surgery on the 13th and just got out of a physical rehabilitation hospital on Wednesday, one mundane trip became something closer to a long-distance hike (in one of those little electric cart thingies). Not that I actually noticed anything at the time. I felt fine, my pain level was low, and I was thrilled to be out in the real world. My husband and I took our time, looked for several things (and found none), and picked up a few groceries. I was tired when I got home, but not overly.

And then bedtime arrived.

Lying down, trying to relax, change in the angle of my neck, pain level zooming out into the stratosphere, saying I didn’t sleep well Thursday night is an understatement. I managed to get a half- handful of hours in bits and pieces, but not the kind of sleep someone recovering from surgery needs in order to heal. In the wee hours of Friday morning I lay awake in my bed thinking, “I’m not Wonder Woman.”

Well duh!

What can I say? I may be intelligent, but I never claimed to know when to come in out of the Wal-Mart.

Gotta go now, I think I need a nap.

Cheryel
www.cheryelhutton.com

1 comment:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Eeep! Hope you feel better soon--and made it through the weekend without pain.