14 October 2013

HOW Conference in October

I just did something that I've never done before--I flew away for a weekend of romance in October. Before you start thinking of hot cabana boys on some tropical island, or a secret weekend in Paris, let me clarify.

A few months ago, my dear friend, C.C. Wiley, asked me to go with her to the Hearts of the West Romance Writer's Conference in Utah. Ah, that kind of romance. I was tempted to go, really tempted.

In the middle of October? Was I crazy? The kids were deeply involved with school and sports, hubby was working hard, and I was in the middle of my big reports at work. Not to mention the cost was outside the family budget to take off and fly to a conference. How could I pick up and zip away at a time like this?

Without any question my family and my day job come first. But here's the thing, I am a business owner too--I write books. Didn't I owe myself the right to improve my business, my craft, and network? Didn't I deserve a little time away?

Yes, I did.

I seized my right to be a romance author, to challenge myself, to put myself "out there" and I went to the conference. Boy, am I glad I did! Being with other authors always juices up my writing batteries. Even though I am not a member of their chapter, the HOW members welcomed me with open arms. What an amazing group. I gained insights and tools to attack the manuscript I am working on. I pitched to an agent and learned about cover art from the amazing cover model, Jimmy Thomas.

It was a whirlwind weekend, but I am better for it. My family is better for it too. Heck, they probably enjoyed having mom away for a while.

Oh, and I brought pics!


This is the beautiful sunrise outside my window in Park City, Utah.


The lodge where the conference was held. The changing fall colors were spectacular.



Me winning second-place in the Single-Title category.


And of course, there was the chance to meet Jimmy Thomas. Do you know that he is on the cover of about 6,000 books? He is a very smart man. He spent a bit of time with me looking at covers and explaining what works and what doesn't. I was super grateful for the lesson. Thanks, Jimmy Thomas! 



7 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Congratulations on finaling! Sounds like you had a great time--and you're right, it is a matter of professional growth.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, Jean Marie. Sometimes it is so hard to put the writing life first. I am glad I did it this time. I had fun, learned a lot, and met great people. Being a finalist in the contest was very special.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I was thrilled to spend the weekend with my fabulous critique partner and friend. What a great conference to take the time to sharpen the tools in our toolbox. Thanks for sharing your brilliance and shining in my writing and my life. You deserve every dream!
C.C.

A. Catherine Noon said...

d00d. A weekend of romance, and you didn't come visit me in Chicago? I'm bummed. :)

It sounds like you had an awesome time! I'm so happy for you!!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Thank you, C.C. I'm blessed to have you in my life.

Kimberley Troutte said...

Noony, if I ever make it to Chicago, I'm looking you up!

A. Catherine Noon said...

I'm easy to find. I'll be the one pouncehuggletackling you. ~nods~