04 October 2013

Spooky October

I really, really love this time of year.


The chill in the air...the falling leaves...the riot of colors across the land...the deep blue of the sky...the smell of wood burning and apples baking. This is my time: the part of the year that I feel most at peace and at home.

It could be because this is my birthday month -- I was an almost-Halloween baby. ;) Or maybe it's something deeper. All I know is that I feel an undeniable sense of belonging.

To share with you my love of all things Autumn, I've re-released a slightly spooky romance titled: Familiar. This story was first part of a short anthology; I later chopped it up into a super-short version for a promotional giveaway with Samhain Publishing. :)

This re-published version of the original length (about 12k) has a pretty new cover and has had a slight spit-shine applied. ;) It features a heroine close to my heart who finally gets to go  home to small-town West Virginia-- just in time for Halloween. Along the way she realizes that some things haven't changed; some have; and sometimes you can start over.

Here's a short excerpt:

Familiar
(c)Meg Allison 2013

* * *

“Jed will be standing behind the counter and he’ll say…”

“I’ve been waiting on you, Penny Lynn…” She gasped as her eyes met a pair in that hypnotic shade of crystal blue she had vividly imagined. “My Penny Lynn comes home again.”

He grinned at her and the second of silence stretched tight and thin as she swallowed, took a deep breath and swallowed again. Coincidence, that’s all. It had to be. Dreams didn’t come true. Not like this.

“Jed, it’s good to see you,” she replied in a nervous rush. “But how did you know I’d be here?”

He shrugged his broad shoulders. “I heard you were moving back and figured you’d need supplies sooner or later.” He winked at her. “Glad it’s sooner. You look good, Penny. Haven’t changed a bit.”

* * *

Familiar is a favorite of mine because it combines what I love best: ghosts; family; romance; and the possibility of getting a second chance in life. I hope you'll enjoy it, too.

Now available for $0.99:

Amazon.com

Barnes and Noble

Smashwords

~~Meg Allison

Indulge your senses...
http://megallisonauthor.com



2 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Sounds lovely, Meg. Can't wait to read it!

Meg Allison said...

Thanks, Jean Marie! :)