27 June 2011

10 Reasons Why I love My Job

10) Being a millionarie is fun.

Well, at least it looks like fun. No, being a multi-published author does not mean that I am rich, or live in a mansion, or even like caviar. What it does mean is that I have a job that I love.

9) Partying with those hot hunky cover models is a kick.

In my dreams. Ha. No, I've never met the sizzling model who became my Cain on the cover of Soul Stealer, or the hot and intense model on Catch Me in Castile. Sigh. But I do have a job that I love that allows me to stay home and party with my hunky sizzling hot hubby and that's heaven for me.

8) Jet-setting around the world to sign books makes my day

Or it would if I could. But I do have a job where I GET to talk to readers on the internet and sometimes in person. This I do LOVE.

7) Being followed by paparazzi is such a pain

For superstars. I have a job where I can be in the public eye and yet few people know who I am. I love fans. Truly big love. So if you do see me and want to chat PLEASE DO!

6) People respect what I do

Mostly. On a very rare ocassion a person will turn up their nose when I say I write romance. Honestly, that is rare. I have a job where I work hard and write the best stories I can write. I am not concerned with those who don't respect what I do. They don't have to buy the books. But if they did, they might be surprised to find that they like them.

5) Writers are wonderful people

They are! I work at a job where all my contemporaries, mentors and mentees all support one another. Writers great and small have encouraged me to succeed in hundreds of ways. How often does that happen in other industries? I love writers. BIG, BIG love.

4) Creating stories is fun

Usually. Except for those days when nothing seems to work and my fingers feel like they are moving through mud. Writing can become painful work. Sometimes my brain hurts. Sometimes I need to take a nap. But! Other times writing IS fun. On those days, my fingers can't move fast enough to get the story down. The charcters are all talking and doing important stuff and really living. And creating stories is a blast.

5) The characters are all me

Not completely. But my characters are usually people that I want to get to know better. They have a flaw or two that I see in myself. I put them in dangerous positions and wait to see how they get out. I learn from them. I cheer for them, cry with them and fall in love beside them. When the book is done, I miss my characters. Is that weird? I don't think so. An author has to get under her character's skin to make them believable beings. Okay, maybe it's weird. But it is one of the main reasons why I love my job.

4) I get to be the boss

Sort of. Sure, I create the world, the people, the life-or-death-problems, but do I get to be in charge? Not really. Once I set my characters in motion, they tend to have lives of their own. This is one of my favorite parts of my job. Watching my creations come alive. Letting them live the story, instead of me bossing them around.

3) A few hours each day is all I need to write a book

This is partially true. I usually type two to four hours a day. But the typing is only part of the job. Writing is more than putting words on a page. There's research, reading, and most importantly THINKING. I won't start writing any story unless I have the plot points in my mind, have sketched out who my characters are and can "see" the setting.

2) Two months is all I need to write a book and then it's party time!
Snort. I can write a first draft in two months. Seriously, it's possible. But that's only the first draft. For me, the real work begins at the editing stage. And this stage can take up to a year.

1) It's Pure Bliss

For me. I can't not write. It's in my bone marrow, or genes, or hair folicals, or something. I am a writer who works every day except Sundays. I think, dream and read about writing. Don't talking to me about writing unless you want a passionate discussion. Creating a new story is amazing. Talking to fans is awesome. Geting to do what I love? Priceless.

Kimberley Troutte
www.kimberleytroutte.com

2 comments:

Xakara said...

Wait, what do you mean there's no mansion and millions? That's not standard? Why did no one tell me? *pout* I guess I'll keep doing it anyway....

Hugs,

~X

Kimberley Troutte said...

Maybe there are millions for you, Xakara. It's possible. Just not the norm. And don't you dare stop!