29 May 2013

Dark Quest Books

I’ve been hinting around that there was to be a big announcement, that I’ve been making changes in my writing career. I couldn’t tell anyone officially until after Balticon, when we made the public announcement at the Dark Quest launch party.

There’s a whole big story behind this, but long story short.

Dark Quest Books, an independent SF/F/H publisher (yes, the website is out of date, it’s on of the things on the ever-growing to-do list.) is opening a Young Adult imprint, Palomino Press.  Here is the shiny new logo:
McPDG-Logo-Palomino

And I am the Acquisitions Editor. Yes, me.  I know, right?  The first release from this new imprint will come out in the Fall – The Unexpected Enlightenment of Rachel Griffin, by L. Jagi Lamplighter, who is the author of the Prospero's Daughter series, from TOR, and an all around nice lady. This will be a multiple book series.

So, we have six (JUST SIX) slots left to fill for the imprint for 2014-15.  Right now we’re accepting submissions. THESE ARE THE GUIDELINES:
*YA ONLY (no middle grade), we’re aiming for 15-19 year old readers (and crossover with the adult readers who read YA, of course).
*65,000-100,000 words
*Speculative Fiction ONLY (SF/F/H)
Other than those three things, pretty much anything goes!
*Contemporary, Historical, Alternate Universe, Futuristic, Dystopian, Steampunk all welcome!
*Romantic elements are certainly acceptable, but should be secondary to the plot.
*Especially looking for sharp, original YA voice (think Cassandra Claire, Kady Cross, Lauren Oliver, Jennifer Armentrout, Suzanne Collins).

I know what I want for this imprint, now I just have to find it! If you think you’ve got the perfect manuscript, please submit a query letter, the first three chapters, and a 1-2 page synopsis to me at palomino@darkquestbooks.com. Please do NOT email my personal email — it will be deleted. Snail mail queries will not be accepted.

4 comments:

A. Catherine Noon said...

Congrats, Christine! that's great news!

Kimberley Troutte said...

Yay, Christine!

Jean Marie Ward said...

W00t! Congratulations, Christine! No wonder you were singing your heart out with Danny Birt. :-)
To think, I was stuck in a panel when all the good stuff was going on. :-P

Christine Norris said...

LOL, JM! Yeah, that was fun singing that silly song.

I'm pretty happy about everything, just waiting for the subs to roll in!