23 July 2007

My Lost Weekend with Harry Potter

I was going to post about another mystical place, but I think I'll save that post for next time. Right now, like Christine, I want to comment on my lost weekend with Harry Potter. (Sounds like a tabloid headline, doesn't it?)

First, it's amazing the response this book has gotten all over the world. Many love it, some hate it (thinking it's the work of dark forces) and others are still wondering what it's all about. I admit, investing a day or two reading a 750+ page book is not for the feint of heart. But, dedicated reader that I am, I managed to get through the book in a weekend. To the exclusion of all else. I read and read, and read some more. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was some kind of spell on the book to make me HAVE TO pick it up again every time I thought to put it down. It was a compulsion, I tell you!

So that's how I lost my weekend to Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived, lived in my house for a day or two while I consumed his story like a chocaholic on a Godiva binge. The odd part of it all - to me at least - was knowing that all over the world, there were people just like me doing the same thing at the same moment. People of all ages, all walks of life, etc, were all reading this one book at this one time. Amazing. To be able to create that much hype is marketing genius. To be able to create a fictional world able to live up to the hype - now that takes talent.

My hat's off to J.K. Rowling. Anyone who can keep kids, much less millions of people of every age, on the edge of their seats for over 750 pages of a book definitely has something magical about her.

Bianca D'Arc
www.biancadarc.com

PS - My personal blog on Blogger has been very rudely "disapperated," to quote Harry. I'm working to restore it in one form or another, so please bear with me while I work out an alternative solution.

2 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

You too? [grin]

I think I even forgot to eat yesterday in my compulsion to finish the book. I found myself fumbling to turn pages as fast as I possibly could. Me, who usually has trouble finishing a 200 page novel in under a month. LOL

About 3 p.m. yesterday, under 100 pages from the end, I suddenly got weak and sweaty. My husband asked me if I'd eaten, and I said I didn't remember! So he brought me a Pepsi then made me eat a sandwich. :)

I started the book at 12:15 a.m. Saturday, took breaks to sleep and grit my teeth through a few necessary chores, but other than that I read. I even skipped church. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that there must be some kind of spell on these books as they are the only ones I feel compelled to read in a 1-2 day period. You just get sucked into Harry's world and you don't want to leave for pesky real life matters. The end of the book came with a heavy sigh knowing that there would be no more Harry adventures to share and get lost in.