11 October 2007

Help With Movie Names

I figure my interest in shapeshifters, particularly wolves and cougars, started early. There are two movies from my childhood and I'd love to know what they were named. So, does anyone recognize either of these movies? They were probably released in the 70s.

  1. My recall on this one is very thin. Nevertheless. The movie starts and a cougar is being hunted down. They manage to tree the cougar and it's not looking good for the big cat. Then the movie flashes back and most of it is about how they reached this point in time (and why, I suppose.) Now, I think this was a Disney movie and the cougar survives, but I'm not sure.
    • Opening has a wolf on the run from a helicopter or low flying plane. She's shot. :(
    • Trapper/man of the north/burly oldish guy finds 3-5 orphaned wolf pups and raises them. Grown wolves eventually leave man and make their way in the wild. Man is kinda lonely.
    • At the end the man is attacked by a bear. Out of the blue, the wolves appear to save the man's life. (I found this scene powerful at the time.)
    • No doubt other stuff happened or it would have been quite a short film.
So, any takers? Does anyone remember seeing movies of this sort?

16 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

"Charlie the Lonesome Cougar"?

Second one - nope, that one's not ringing a bell...

sjwilling said...

:) I've seen both the films like years ago, so no don't ask me their names. Have you tried searching the internet movie database, maybe you'll find something familiar on there.

S.J.

Carolan Ivey said...

"Flight of the Grey Wolf", maybe?

sjwilling said...

Return of the Cubs :)

S.J.

Sela Carsen said...

Chicagoans can dream, right SJ?

sjwilling said...

Hehe, yep.

S.J.

Margo Lukas said...

Can't help you, but it's good to know others have these scenes from childhood movies stuck in their heads.

~Margo

N.J.Walters said...

The second movie sounds familiar, but I can't remember a name.

Anonymous said...

Carolan—I'm pretty sure it's not Charlie the Lonesome Cougar, although maybe I should watch it just for fun! Flight of the Grey Wolf doesn't sound right, either, alas.

SJ—I looked at one database, but found it hard to navigate. Though I'm glad I haven't made these movies up! And, hey, I didn't get the baseball ref until Sela's comment :)

Margo—yes, I have these scenes, I just wish I knew the movies' names!

NJ–the second movie actually affected me quite deeply. So perhaps it is better I don't see it again. Still would like to have a name for it though.

Jenna Leigh said...

Was the first movie, Run, Cougar, Run?

Jenna Leigh said...

Ooh! I meant to put up this link.
http://www.impawards.com/1972/run_cougar_run.html

Anonymous said...

I would have thought it could be this one except that my memory is of plenty of snow. So…unless there's desert and snow in it?

But thanks!

sjwilling said...

The one with the wolf cubs had plenty of snow, because the last scene is where the guy is attacked in winter by the bear beside the river, and we have this heartwrenching scene of man/wolfstaring at each over across the river before the wolf runs off.

S.J.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe the wolf movie takes place in the north or far north(vs just the winter). Not that I remember the river. Gosh, I'd really like to find this movie again!

In the cougar movie, the cougar is treed and it is winter and there is snow all around. Where this is though, I don't know.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

My favorite wolf movie is "Never Cry Wolf" but I'm pretty sure it's not the one mentioned here.

Jody W.

Anonymous said...

I loved Never Cry Wolf! But, yeah, it isn't the one above.