06 March 2009

Animals/Pets in Romance Stories

Let me start by saying - YEAH! It's Friday! Also, here in southern Indiana it is going to be in the 70's today and tomorow, woohoo, so I plan to take a shopping trip to celebrate.

Now that I have that out of my system, on to the topic. I am working on a contemporary romance that includes a lot of comedy, at least I think so. In the story the heroine has a dog - actually a chocolate lab named Charlie Brown. The dog makes several appearances throughout the story.

So, here is my question:
When there a story includes a pet/animal, do you think it takes away from the story or makes it more interesting?

Personally, I am an animal lover and have two small house dogs. Sadie is a shitzu/cocker mix and Princess is a bischon. To me, they are part of the family. To the heroine of the story, Charlie is her best friend.

Tell me what you think. I'd like to hear about stories you have read that either added interest to/or had taken away from the story.

Diane McEntire
The first two novels of my vampire romance series, The Watchers are available in ebook at www.mybookstoreandmore.
Midnight Reborn - Print Release on 3/31/09
Midnight Rose

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind pets in stories, I mean come on I am a HUGE animal lover (I keep throwing out the glue traps they use at work for the mice)... BUT I don't like stories where an animal is trying to get people together, you know? the ones where the animal actually has thoughts in the story? If a couple get together because his dog keeps jumping on her? no problem. I wonder if any of that made sense...lol

Carolan Ivey said...

Sometimes an animal can become an author's "signature". For example, my favorite author growing up was Marguerite Henry, whose horse stories I devoured. She wrote stories involving other animals, as well (dogs, foxes, mules...), but in nearly every one of her books there was a cat. Even if it made only a brief appearance, cats padded quietly (or not so quietly) through all her stories.

I think the temptation for many writers (me included) is to give the pet too many human characteristics. But then again, while one of my dogs has a typically "got any food for me?" expression, the other dog I swear has such human facial expressions I can tell exactly what she's thinking at any given time. Like:

"I can't believe my sissy left me AGAIN."

"Surrender the lunchmeat now, human."

"Move your butt. You're sitting in my spot."

"Please take me for a walk. PLEASE?"

"Do I really have to go in the crate? Can't I stay on the couch, just this once?"

Anonymous said...

Ok, let me rephrase something....I don't mind if a human interprets a pets expression, I just don't like it when it is the actual pets thoughts

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I agree. I don't mind pets being in the story. I mean come on... we read stories (even if they are paranormal ones) to fantasize about our lives. So, I have two dogs (one a maltipoo and the other a mini schnauzer) and an albono ferret. They are as much a part of my life as my 15 yr old daughter and hubby. So why not have them in your stories. But I do agree with the facial expressions - dont make it the actually animals thoughts. We all know the look of "your leaving me this moring aren't you?"