27 March 2009

Heroes I just can't buy...


...In romance novels.

Among the dozens of cops, spies, cowboys and millionaires, there are just a few types of heroes that will keep me from buying a book. Yes, some of it comes from my own prejudices; my own experiences. But I think we each carry some stereotypes around -- ones that are really hard to break.

So here's a list of heroes that I, personally don't want to read about in a romance:

1. The Amish hero -- I'm sorry. I've tried, believe me. I even bought one such book a few years ago. Despite the author's diligent efforts to raise the man to hero status, it just didn't work for me.

Explanation: I live in Amish country... not in the heart of it, but close enough. In general, they are an interesting sect with high ideals and a fantastic work-ethic. But I have a hard time getting past what I've seen in real life to give any fictional Amish hero a chance. The scraggly beards, for one, just kill the idea. And then there are the stories I've heard... but suffice to say, I'm rather shallow.

2. The car salesman -- I don't like pushy, overbearing people. Car salesmen, unfortunately, have this image firmly in place.

3. The politician -- Yes, I've become very jaded over the last twenty years. Politicians are not, in my estimation, glamorous or sexy. I'd much rather have that honest, hard-working cowboy with mud on his boots.

4. The gynecologist -- Do I really have to explain this one?

5. The professional wrestler / cage fighter / boxer / etc -- I hear an uproar in cyberland! But I have a hard time appreciating any man who enjoys beating the hell out of someone else on a regular basis.

6. The pastor / Reverend / etc -- The only type of novel this hero 'works' in, IMHO, is the Inspirational romance. I don't read those very often. In sexy romances, a man of this calling should live his religion, in other words: no sex outside of marriage. Yep, I'm serious. So if he's being true to himself -- to his vocation and beliefs, then fine. I'll give the book a try. If not, he's a hypocrite and I really don't like hypocritical heroes.

Does anyone want to add to the list?

5 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

[[Do I really have to explain this one?]]

ROFL! Er, no. In fact I think I'd be squicky about a dentist hero (or heroine). Anyone who pokes their fingers into other people's orifices on a daily basis...no thanks!

I'm not generally drawn to straight contemporary romances for the same reason - I want the complete fantasy, not a story set in the real, mundane world. I want magic and wonder and weird stuff.

There are always exceptions, of course, but those are based on word of mouth, not from me picking up the book and reading the back cover.

Single mother of two and a wealthy business man. Next!

Single mother of two whose oldest unwittingly brings home a wolf shifter puppy. "Can I keep it, Mom?" Then the father shows up to claim his cub... Now you're talking!

Kathleen Scott/MK Mancos said...

Hehehhee...I have a possessed priest as a hero in one of my novels. OK, he never finished seminary, but still....he's sexy as hell. (No pun intended. But take my word for it.) He makes a great hero.

Here are some who do not:

1. Dog Catcher. - I don't like heartless people who take unsuspecting canines to doggie jail. (As portrayed on 60's and 70's television.) This does not include the die hard Animal Police. Those who rescue abused animals from horrible situations are extremely heroic. I can see where that could make a yummy hero. Oh, Jesus, an idea just popped into my head. Make it stop!)

2. Grocery store manager. - Sorry, I get visions of Dosie from Gilmore Girls when I think of this one. Definately not sexy hero material.

3. Septic Tank Cleaner - Um. Ewwww.

4. Anything Mike Rowe has covered on Dirty Jobs. - Though Mike himself is pretty hot. (Great sense of humor, what a turn-on. Super yum!)

5. Toll Booth Operators - A vanishing breed to be sure, but I just don't see much of a heroic set up there.

6. Janitor - Now, my own husband once worked a stint in the custodial arts, but he was trying to pay off some debts. However, cleaning up after other people, while a neccessary profession, does not lends itself readily to herodom.

That's about all I can come up with off the cuff.

-Kat

Meg Allison said...

Now, a guy who didn't finish seminary -- that I can buy. As a matter of fact, until I re-wrote it for various reasons, my second Samhain novel (a historical) had such a hero. ;)

Septic tank cleaner?!?! LOL! Um, while I find that particular job a necessity and deeply appreciate those that clean our tank... no, not a great idea for a romantic set-up. (GGG)

Unless it's a comedy. ;)

Meg Allison said...

Carolan -- I love the idea about the kid bringing home a wolf shifter puppy. That could be great!

Anonymous said...

I have issue with any "hapless" character thata suddenly knows martial arts,(computer geek, librarian, UPS driver/mailman, etc.) I'm all for alternate heroes, but let them save the day with the skills they have, not by tacking on combat maneuvers they have no plausible reason to know.

(I say this knowing a UPS driver with a black belt, but he couldn't name me any others, so I stand by it.)

~X