17 August 2009

Bubble, Bubble, Dimensional Trouble

It's no secret I'm a closet geek. Though I suck in math...I think, given a better aptitude for numbers and formulas, I may have been a physicist. I find programs on the origins of the universe and quantum mechanics so fascinating, I've taken to saving them on my DVR.

I've even dedicated my next Samhain series to those bold thinkers who strive to make FTL travel a reality, open dimensional gateways with a thought, and make Stargates possible.

The first book, High Octane, starts off the series that revolves around an American military group called the Jumpers. They move between this dimension (Alpha) and the next one over, called....yes, you guessed it...Beta.

Here's a blurb.

During a routine fuel run through one of the four dimensional portals covering the planet, Major Geneieve Lockhart’s Jumper team is engaged by hostile forces in an unprovoked attack. With her ship disabled and contact to mission control limited, it appears Genie’s crew will meet their end on the blood-soaked floor of a foreign desert. Help comes in the form of an unlicensed freelance mercenary ship, piloted by her AWOL ex-lover, Lt. Col. Dante Bowen.

Bowen’s undercover mission to expose a governmental conspiracy in the beta dimension hits a major snag when he hears Genie’s distress call. Going against direct orders, he brings his team to the rescue, only to end up in chains in Genie’s cargo hold awaiting transport back to mission control for trial as a traitor.

When the hostile race known as the Muloons return to finish off both his and Genie’s teams to take control of the New Mexican portal, Bowen and Genie must band together to ensure freedom on both sides of the dimensional divide.

~~~~~~

The cool thing about my world is that from all the programs I've watched on alternate dimensions, I've learned my version of it is possible. Now, I've always been rather eye-rolling over dimensions that have the exact same people living in them as the one we currently live. Like my evil twin is somewhere out there...or maybe it's my good twin...whatever...I just knew when I was developing this idea, I didn't want that for my Beta dimension. Basically, I constructed a world that geographically and topographically was Earth, the civilizations and cultures just developed along a different path. It's that whole theory that if you turn right rather than left, your whole life will change. I just took it to the extreme and said....early man took the right turn instead of an individual. Anyhoo...in my alternate dimension, even Atlantis never fell into the ocean. (That's book two, by the way.)

However, in my quest to at least make my dimensional set up plausible, I've borrowed some fun locations from the area of the unexplained. The dimensional portals in my world - in book one that is - are located in New Mexico (Roswell), the Bermuda Triangle, the Dragon's Triangle (off the coast of Japan), and Tibet. Interestingly enough, as I was doing research for my world, I held up a globe and wouldn't you know Each one of these four places has a corresponding one on the other side of the globe. Meaning, if you drew a line through the earth from one...you'd come out at another. How much fun is that?

But this will only take me so far, and I have four books, and planned to have more gateways in each book. So, I decided, what would you have if the entire globe were covered with these portals, only they weren't as distinct? It would probably look somewhat like a honeycomb. So, that's what I've gone with the idea of parallel dimensions covering the earth in a honeycomb pattern. Now, to tie this into the title of my blog. As I was watching one of my very beloved documentaries on this very topic...they discussed something called Bubble Nucleations. Basically, it's the idea that alternate dimensions pass by us all the time, like bubbles blown from a bubble wand. I once saw a magician who blew a series of bubbles and stacked them all together. Inside each bubble was a cube, a square....a honeycomb. A world. Don't you just love it when things you think you've created in your mind, are theorhetically possible?

I rest my case.

- Kat, writing from an alternate reality.

No comments: