20 May 2011

Things I've learned lately...

Honestly, I really didn't know what to blog about today -- hence the late hour of this post. Do take my midnight-four a.m. work schedule into account, as well. But I have been thinking about different things recently. Yes, thinking. Dangerous? I agree. ;)

Thinking and learning seem to go hand in hand, whether I'm up the challenge or not. So now, I'll share some things I've learned... conclusions I've come to... insights I've gained, over recent months.

1. The only certain things in life are death, taxes and change. Everything changes, from the weather patterns of the world to what music makes me happy. Very few things in life are constant -- but I am truly growing to appreciate those things, and people, who are.

2. Pneumonia is contagious. Yes, I'm slow, but I always heard this illness was a result of some other illness going untreated. I didn't know it was an illness in and of itself. Now I do. I also understand why it can be so dangerous to the elderly, young children and those with other health problems. It's no fun, whatsoever. :(

3. Doing whatever you want, whenever you want, is NOT the key to lasting happiness. You must utilize a healthy dose of self-control in the process or life winds up in ruins.

4. Trust and mutual respect are absolutely necessary for any relationship to last.

5. In politics, no one is ever happy and the other guy is never right. Yes, I am definitely guilty of thinking the latter. :)

6. When we have a problem -- a real problem that needs to be addressed and resolved, such as, oh, I don't know... budgets? Ahem. Then everyone... EVERYONE needs to be willing to make some type of sacrifice and work together without back-biting, name-calling and fear-mongering.

7. I despise bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc. that tell me what to do. No, I don't want to "Have a Nice Day" or "Save the Blue-bearded Guppies". Leave me alone!

8. Sexy shoes are for the very young. Unfortunately.

9. If you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime... or stay out in the boat and drink beer all day. (GGG) Seriously, though, whenever something is too easy, it's rarely worth it. Self-reliance can give us the greatest satisfaction in life.

10. The biggest realization I've come to over the last few months? I have a pretty good life, and it's time I stop whining about what I don't have and enjoy what I do. :)

Hope you're still thinking and learning, too.

~~Meg

Indulge your senses...
http://www.megallisonauthor.com

No comments: