15 July 2011

The end is here...

For the first time ever, I actually attended a midnight movie premier. Yep. I was there in a theater packed to the rafters, although my muggle costume was rather ordinary compared to the person with a snake around his neck and numerous others in Hogwarts' style robes. True fans are an interesting lot. ;)

It's been a busy week: a short family trip out of town; Harry Potter premier; and, of course, our oldest son's 16th birthday -- the best part of it all.

I'm left feeling both tired and satisfied with the way things turned out all around. Yet, a part of me is a little sad, as well.

While our family trip was fun, it wasn't quite the same as when the kids were little. They aren't as easily entertained and amazed. ;) Also, though I'm not a true HP fanatic, I do think it's sad that we don't have another movie 'coming soon'.

The most bitter-sweet aspect has been watching my little boy grow into a thoughtful, intelligent and funny young man. I'm proud of the person he's becoming, even while a part of me misses the little guy who used to build with blocks for hours and loved to cuddle. Yes, that was many years ago, and yet, I remember it as if it were yesterday.

We may have said good-bye to Harry and company today, but we can re-visit them in both books and movie form. Daily if we should so desire. If only we could return to our childrens' childhoods as easily, even for a few hours.

~~Meg Allison

Indulge your senses...
http://www.megallisonauthor.com

4 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

As I watched the movie last weekend, I think I was distracted by all the memories wrapped up in these books and movies. Listening to the audiobooks on long vacation drives. Staking out the no. 1 spot in line five hours before our local indie bookshop opened at midnight so we'd have the newest book in our hot little hands as soon as possible. Making home-made butterbeer (disgusting! lol). Reading book six out loud with the kids and the hubby cuddled on the floor by my feet. Buying three copies of book 7 because no one could stand to wait our turn to read it!

I wonder if there will ever be another phenomenon like this, that will be a bonding experience for parents and children.

Cheryel Hutton said...

Don't shoot me, but I'm one of the three people who hasn't read HP. Not that I don't want to, just haven't had the time. I will. I'm still thrilled about the whole thing. A struggling writer becomes a billionaire, kids reading, and now you show me families bonding. My little heart is melting :)

Jean Marie Ward said...

It's been an amazing ride, as much for the way a whole generation has grown up in the Potter-verse as for the books and movies themselves. Mega congratulations to you and your son on making it to 16!

Xakara said...

Harry Potter is the first multi-generational phenomena I've been through. I was in my mid-twenties when it all started and certainly feel that I've grown up with the books and movies and well, especially since the final chapter of book 7 ends with them the same age I was when reading it.

At conventions and in fandom forums, I've had conversations with women twenty years my senior and fifteen years my junior and we all had a stake in the epicness that is Harry Potter. It was also a wonderful incite these last twelve years into the changing interest and boldness of fandom with the three relationship factions that believed: Hermione belonged with Harry, Harry belonged with Draco/Ron, Harry and Hermione belonged in a triad with Ron.

The last, though the most obvious, can at the end, as those readers matured from reading YA to adult romance and discovered that not every book makes one choose.

I hope to see something like this again where I'm the older generation rather than the middle one, to see what that feels like. :)

~X