22 July 2012

Comics come to life - Oh Yeah!

I'm kind of a Comic junkie. Graphic Novels and Comics.  If there is an adaptation based on a Comic-I'll go read as many of the comics as I can before watching the tv show, movie, etc. Some of my favorites are:


The Walking Dead - extremely weird since I'm not even a zombiephile.  I do love the show and admittedly am missing a few of the comics so I've had my Walker friends fill me. in.

The Watchman - This alter-universe 80's graphic novel was actually the first graphic novel I read and I loved it. The movie was totally awesome and moving replica of the novel getting scenes exact.

The X-men and alternate universes - something people should know about superhero comics is that nowadays there are alternate legends and mythologies for nearly every character.

I'm not sure why I've chosen comics as a method to do research on - maybe because I feel they are easier to read, faster and I can always have my true comicphiles fill in the gaps.  I go to the library and get a few of the new ones, hunt down an occasional deal at the comic store or borrow from friends. I'm not o collector in the true sense as much as an avid fan.

I just got done watching Season One of Game of Thrones.  I have not read the series by George R.R. Martin and I'm undecided if I will.  Epic Fantasy has always been a daunting read for me and I'm not sure I would be able to follow the subplots of so many integral characters.  Comics are much easier that way and for some reason my brain absorbs the graphic content eagerly. I look at the next book in Game of Thrones and I'm just not sure I'm ready for it.

I love Graphic Novels so much I'm actually story-boarding an idea for one with a very talented artist, because I'm horrible at drawing.  Maybe that's why I enjoy Comics so much.  I can write but I sure can't draw.  :)

Tina

1 comment:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Storyboarding? How cool is that! But don't sell yourself short. If you can track all the origin stories and alternate histories in the big ensemble comics (X-men, I'm looking at you, LOL), Martin is EASY!