10 September 2008

Butternut Novel Writing

My two year old helped me grocery shop a couple days ago, and since I was in a generous mood, when she latched onto a creamy orange gourd I figured was some kind of squash, I bought it. After we took it home, I did enough research to confirm it was, indeed, a butternut squash, and the dishes one could make out of it were many and varied. I found recipes for soups, fries, lasagna, pizza (with goat cheese), cracker spread, stir fry, tart, au gratin, ravioli, crisp, sauce, pie, bread, smoothie, chow chow, and even ice cream, which kind of horrifies me, but then again, I couldn't ever recall having eaten butternut squash in my life. Maybe it was an even tastier ice cream flavor than chocolate, especially when you add spinach syrup and bits of turkey bacon.

First image from: http://glennys.blogs.com/nutrawiz/2004/11/ez_recipe_butte.html

Imagine my surprise when I got out my biggest knife and prepared to slice and dice some fry cuts and could hardly force the blade through the squash's very firm flesh.

It was a lot more like a pumpkin inside there than the little yellow squash I was used to cooking, that's for sure. And yes, our household palate is not sophisticated, but give me credit for willingness to experiment!

Second image: http://www.jodeyskitchen.com/2007/10/21/butternut-squash-part-one/ and no, that's not THIS Jody, but that part is cool.

Well, instead of getting out my pumpkin carving kit and a candle, I perservered. I tried cutting off the rind first and realized it was going to result in a trip to the emergency room if I weren't more careful, so I cut it into long, thin curves like cantaulope and then hacked, peeled and pried the skin off of those since they were easier to jab the knife through. I worked up quite a sweat and wasted a lot of edible parts. My toddler may or may not have overheard some particularly choice four letter words, but in the end we had a nice portion of dices, which we sprinkled with a little olive oil, garlic, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Third image from: http://bostonchef.blogspot.com/2007/10/roasted-butternut-squash-soup.html


The end result?

Frankly, it was delicious. At least, *I* thought so.

The toddler, who'd chosen the squash and "helped" prepare it, threw it across the dinner table with a howl of protest.

The six year old starting gagging and bleching as soon as I said the words, "I made something new!" but then pretended to like it because I said if she didn't try it, she was grounded.

Hubby liked it okay, but he didn't have seconds.

Sister appreciated the fact I hadn't made soup because she said she totally burned out on squash soup in Wisconsin.

And what does this have to do with writing, you ask? As I was struggling through the whole chopping and skinning process, I had a bit of an epiphany.

Writing a book is like cleaning and cooking a butternut squash.

There are ten billion ways you can prepare it, it's hard as hell to do the groundwork, everyone thinks they know an easier way to do it, and in the end, your "dish" is not going to be universally loved, no matter how much it cost you, no matter how much hard work you put into it.

Fourth image from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Rice-Stuffed-Butternut-Squash

Various "easy" ways to peel and prepare a squash:
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/vegetablevegetariandishes/r/butternutsquash.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/43560_root-herb-peel-squash.htm

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/02/17/how-to-peel-a-butternut-squash-without-also-peeling-your-fingers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRl-jjG2bYY

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/430055.html

However, if the spices are right and you don't end up in the emergency room while you're trying to battle the rind, it can really hit the spot, plus it's low in calories, high in vitamins, and apparently goes great with a Pinot Noir.

Jody W.
So much cyberspace, so little time!
www.jodywallace.com

5 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

[[then pretended to like it because I said if she didn't try it, she was grounded]]

A mom after my own heart!! LOL

I get the same reactions when I try a new recipe. My family approaches the table as if going to their own executions. :)

Cathy in AK said...

I thought I told you to cut it in half, take out the seeds and roast it that way so you wouldn't have to rind-wrestle and risk bodily harm? I didn't? My bad. Once it's roasted, you scoop out the yummy cooked flesh and leave the now flaccid rind behind. Kind of like doing second draft revisions ;)

My kids have the same reaction to new menu items. They're getting better at making the attempt without the grimace, but it seems the food is barely to their lips when the wrinkling faces begin to crop up.

Carol B. Goodman said...

"flaccid"...Now there's a word I never associated with food before. LOL

Jean Marie Ward said...

There are advantages to not having kids--most of them relating to food. LOL Fun post, Jody! Thanks! Hugs and smiles, Jean Marie

Sela Carsen said...

My family's too used to new recipes to set up much of a howl anymore. And yeah, if you don't eat what's in front you at my house, you just don't eat. I'm mean that way. ;)

I will admit that we love squash soup at our house with a little drizzle of cranberry/orange sauce that I whizz up in the blender. Delish!

Good analogy to writing, too!