25 July 2011

The Spills, The Thrills, The Tour

The Tour de France is a big event in my family, as my hubby is an avid cyclist and I like to watch men in lycra. Oops, did I just say that?

The Tour de France, for anyone who is unfamiliar, is an epic cycling race that goes on for three weeks over treacherous mountain climbs up into the thin air of the Pyrenees and Alps and down heart-stopping slopes. There are daily crashes, blood, sweat and tears. Intrigue, strategy, and sportsmanship. Friendships and bitter rivalries. Written rules and gentlemanly agreements.

In a word, it is AWESOME.

It is also inspiring to watch. What those men go through to follow their passion is humbling to me.

I am passionate about my writing, but I don't risk death or injury doing it.
I put my butt in my seat for several hours a day too, but I don't usually break a sweat and or worry about saddle sores.
When I'm hungry, I get up and eat what I want, but the cyclists have to actually force themselves to consume the thousands and thousands of calories needed to survive.
I will never break a shoulder or hip at my job, unless of course, I fall off my chair.


What really gets me, is that over a hundred riders start the race but only one man can wear the winning yellow jersey at the end. For most riders, they will never win a stage, let alone the entire event, and yet they will fight and scratch and suffer for the chance.

Hmm, maybe they are not that different from writers after all.

Kimberley Troutte

5 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

I've heard that about swimmers, too, that they have to eat almost 24/7. If only writing burned a tenth of that! LOL

Kimberley Troutte said...

I know, it must be so sad to HAVE to eat so much.

Jean Marie Ward said...

There's a reason I was never into competitive sports. "No pain, no gain" always seemed a very dangerous philosophy. That doesn't deny the awesome achievements of folks like long-distance cyclists. I just don't want to emulate them, and I'm not sure if I'd want a hero quite that single-minded. ;-)

Xakara said...

I admire the dedication, but I've never been able to watch. I have a very odd thing about seeing people fall or other ways get hurt. I can be brutal in my descriptions of events, but I just don't want a visual.

Now, on getting writing to burn the same calories....

~X

Kimberley Troutte said...

Xakara,
I wince when they show commercials of past falls and jump out of my seat when I'm watching in real-time. It scares me the way they take those turns, especially going down hill.

But I do love the Tour de France. It is steeped in history, intrigue, grit, and dedication. Got to give those men kudos for all they do.
But I agree. Wish I could figure out a way to burn that many calories without sweating. Maybe while eating chocolate? Wouldn't that be sweet?