03 April 2007

The D'Arc Side...

Since this is my first post on the new blog, I think a little introduction might be in order. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Bianca D'Arc and I write primarily paranormal, futuristic, fantasy and science fiction romance and erotic romance. Since we're on the subject of paranormal romance on this blog, I'd point you toward my vamps and weres, most notably my first full-length paranormal novel, Lords of the Were, which was released by Samhain Publishing late last year in print and ebook. Oh! How about a pic of the cover, just to get some graphics on the new blog? Here we go...


Yes, as you can probably tell from the cover, this ain't your mama's paranormal romance. The heros - yes, there are two - are twin alpha werewolves, and the heroine is a newly discovered priestess who doesn't know much about the supernatural world, but learns fast when bad guys start lobbing fireballs her way. This story fits into a broader contemporary paranormal world in which all my vamp and were stories are set. I have a bunch of vampire novellas with Lady Aibell Press and now a few with Samhain as well. In fact, my first full-length vampire novel, Sweeter Than Wine, will be out with Samhain sometime this Fall.

In the next few weeks I'll probably be posing questions or reflecting on what I think "paranormal romance" is. Seems the definition is quite elastic nowadays. If you have a moment, post a comment and let me know what you think paranormal romance is. I'll compare notes and try to give you my take next week. (Or sooner, if one of the other authors on this blog wants to take up the gauntlet.) :-)

Bye for now,
Bianca
http://www.biancadarc.com/

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great introduction post, Bianca.

Much Love Always,
Rose Marie Wolf
www.rosemariewolf.com

Anonymous said...

Hi again, B :)
Don't know much about paranormals... but I do know that I love yours! :)
I'm really looking forward to reading Sweeter Than Wine :)

sjwilling said...

Hi Bianca,

Paranormal is such a wide ranging affair and often crosses the boundaries of horror, SF, fantasy and normal everyday literature. :)

I sometimes wonder if all of these things really belong as sub genres of the paranormal set.

I know my vampires are part SF, part fantasy and totally paranormal-but then I'm eccentric LOL

Looking forward to seeing your next books, you're a wonderful writer.


S.J.

Sela Carsen said...

I'm with SJ on this one. I have a really broad definition of paranormal, including a lot of fantasy, sci-fi and futuristic settings in addition to supernatural creatures on "regular" Earth as well as alternate Earth.

Anonymous said...

So is this where a guy can ask those truly offbeat paranormal questions like if a werewolf has a bad fur condition like the mange, when he transforms back to human what happens?

Bianca D'Arc said...

First off, thanks to everyone for all the great replies! The categories are often blurred between paranormal and fantasy, though everyone seems to have clear ideas - though very different ideas - of what constitutes each genre. I've had my Dragon Knights series called paranormal by some, when in my mind it's firmly in the fantasy category. *sigh* It's very confusing.

And speaking of confusing... thanks Uncle Buck, for helping christen this blog with your offbeat sense of humor. I suppose I'd have to say if a werewolf has mange, when he transforms to human, he's probably one ugly lookin' dude with a bad skin condition. Hmm... sounds like a really good idea for a shapeshifting bad guy. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm more abnormal than paranormal :0

You have to admit it's more tame a question than my query about stinky vampires and holy water...

Love your stuff, keep it up.

Gia Dawn said...

Cannot wait to here your thoughts on this. I'll keep checking back. Gia

Jenna Leigh said...

Elastic is a good thing.

I wear it when I eat at the buffet so I can consume more. You may be wondering where I'm going with this anaolgy.. so I'll get to it. If there's more paranormal out there, there's more for ME to eat or read. Yeah yeah, a weak joke, but I don't care. I love the genre. I like historical, mystery, horror etc. But if you put paranormal in those, then well, I LOVE them. *grins*
***
PS: To 'Uncle' Buck: Thanks for your insightful question on the horrors of paranormal canine mange. They are working on a cure at the PCDC-Paranormal Center for Disease Control, but so far, they've been unable to convince Big Foot to let them shave his hair for the spell. Apparently, he's way shy about people seeing his knobby knees, or something. Gah! But we are ( ) this close, ya know?

Jennie Andrus said...

*snicker* it could be the hero with mange, and he's under a curse.

I always thought if it was set in a non-earth world than it's fantasy, but then what's the difference between paranormal and urban fantasy? And if a sci-fi novel has paranormal elements does that make it more para or more sci-fi. In truth, Star Wars has the force, which is paranormal in my mind. To me paranormal is anything supernatural...well anything more than just a tiny bit supernatural. I really need more caffine before I try to make sense in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I only really thought of that because I got the shingles last year...I thought how in the hell does a 37 year old guy get shingles? The docs said "been under any stress?" Lemme think...7 months in the Green Zone getting shelled and shot at...nah, nothing stressful.

Now for the next query...do werewolves come out during a solar eclipse? What happens to vampires? Enquiring minds want to know...