09 April 2007

Maybe Paranormal is more normal than you think

What Is Paranormal?

Now, I know Bianca is going to be talking about this later, so I will leave the meaty stuff to her. Most of us nowadays, when we talk about paranormal, are thinking along the lines of Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts and the like.

Here, and I hope I'm not stepping on Bianca's blogtoes, I'd like to talk about what I call Paranormal Light.

What is Paranormal Light? It is something, I believe, that happens to all of us at least once in our lifetimes. Paranormal Light is often ignored, disbelieved and frequently not even noticed. Most times it is counted as coincidence, a mere accident, or, to be slightly more mystical, an act of Fate. Looking back over my life I've seen many of these moments, though I've tended not to realize until after the event. Though I'm learning now to recognize them.

I last experienced Paranormal Light only a few months ago. It was a bright, sunny November day. Everyone I knew was in a good mood, things in general seemed to going well, yet I couldn't shake my feeling of utter depression. I found out a week later, after lots of unanswered phone calls and emails, my mother had gone into hospital again. This time she didn't come out. The deep sense of loss I'd felt that day had warned me, prepared me in a way, for what was coming.

I've known other people have events like this too, like my friend, L, who felt impelled to follow a fire engine while driving to a business meeting one day. She ended up arriving at her house where the firemen were fighting a massive blaze—her husband, and her terrified children huddled on the sidewalk, were overjoyed to see her. Another friend, J, who flew regularly with no problems at all became so panicked before one particular flight she didn't dare board—only to find, later that night, the plane had crashed on landing, killing all on board.

Paranormal Light is the feeling, or the need to do something, that you wouldn't ordinarily have, and which can give wide ranging consequences. It can extend to something as simple as knowing when your child is hitting the cookie jar when you're upstairs unable to see, or "feeling" your cat waiting at the door for you to let him in.

Are these moments important, do they mean anything? I believe we should rejoice and encourage these, "abilities", and learn from them. Think of the healing and joy could we bring to others. It could be that a friend is constantly dominating our thoughts—if we call her we might find her crying over a recent tragedy in her life and by talking over the phone we give her hope and comfort. Or suppose we listen to that urge we feel to visit a friend, and on arriving become instrumental in smoothing over a trauma, whether big or small. From my own experience I have found these instances of Paranormal Light to be times where we are called on to be of joy or assistance to others, or as protection from accident or sometimes even evil in avoiding those that intend us harm. These are good things.

I love the paranormal world and all its various creatures. I'm sure my vampire society and my hero, Valencius, would bite me if I didn't. To me, though, paranormal has no limits other than the prejudices of the human mind. It can be as simple—or complicated—as life itself.


Spend some time looking back over your life, and see where you've been a part of Paranormal Light and rejoice that these wonderful connections exist. Sometimes, it can bring a great sense of freedom to let the Paranormal Light in.

S.J.



S.J.Willing

4 comments:

Gia Dawn said...

I have a lot of deja-vous. So does my oldest son. I try to explain to him that for me it means I'm on the right path, and that my life is unfolding as it should. I try to keep him aware that not all paranormal feelings/experiences are dark and sad, but that sometimes we get a smile from the universe telling us that things are ok. Gia

Carolan Ivey said...

Yay, SJ, you made it! [grin]

Thanks for the great topic. I've had many "paranormal light" instances in my life. In fact it is generally accepted that the females in my family have a touch of the Sight. I've had things happen to me, but more often than not I don't realize it until after the fact.

When my boyfriend and I were dating while in college, I once dropped by his apartment to say goodbye before I headed home for Christmas break. It was only an hour's drive home and I'd made that drive hundreds of times. It was snowing lightly but nothing serious. Yet, just as I went to leave, he suddenly said "Wait, I'll drive behind you to make sure you get home." He would not be disuaded; he and his roomate got in his car and drove behind me on the freeway.

Halfway there, I hit a patch of black ice, narrowly missed going under the wheels of a semi, smacked into a bridge abuttment, whacked my head on the window, and ended up sitting dazed in a disabled car in the median. Within seconds he was there, pulling me out of the car to take me the rest of the way home.

To this day he brushes it off; he's an engineer and doesn't believe in such things.

But I for one am grateful he listened, for once, to that inner voice.

M A duBarry said...

I do a lot of dream work, so I've had many 'paranormal light' moments in my life. My grandmother had the gift of prophetic dreams and interpretation, so I think I inherited it from her.

A very interesting post.

deb said...

My most vivid experiences, are I knew my son years before I got pregnant...he came to me in a dream. Then, later, I had a dream about another baby--which I thought was my son, but realized after the fact that it was my daughter. Even more strange, when my son was around 3, he told me that he was glad he chose me as his mom. I asked him when did he choose me, and he said before he was here (alive?). How's that for paranormal light? I belive that I inherited a small gift from my grandmother, who, at one time, was a practitioner of Santeria.