09 June 2007

The Next Big Trend...maybe

Hey there, and thanks to Beyond the Veil for the opportunity to post today. Hmm, a whole empty post just waiting for insightful words...sorry, you're going to get what's banging around inside my head instead. :)

I wanted to talk about the Next Big Trend. Why, you ask? Because I know what it's going to be, I lie with a straigt face. Okay, no. I don't know, but I'm always looking, as is every other writer out there wanting that edge.

Several years ago, no one knew that much about vampires. Then along came Anne Rice, and suddenly vampires were hot, sensual, sexy. Years later, Christine Feehan introduced her world of the Carpathians, Sherrilyn Kenyon gave us the Dark Hunters, and many other wonderful vampire stories were born.. However, recently it seems as if the paranormal market is gluttoned on vampires. While some readers are reading them, high on the transfusion of blooddrinkers, I'm about done with the genre myself. It was all I could do to pick up JR Ward's series, the BlackDagger brotherhood, and now I'm hooked, darn it. And I'm not putting down anyone who writes about vampires--not at all. It amazes me that for a well-known niche in the market, so many original stories are still written about the vampire. Heck, the other day I read the back of a book that tied vampirism to the Chupacabra.

Then of course, there are the books on shapeshifters, fae and Scottish warriors. The shifter books are still hot, more in electronic than print, I'd say. So many Scottish historicals have stayed the course when other historicals have fallen from the market. And the fae seem to pop up in every new book that has a collaberation of paranormal characters. Seems you can't have a world full of vampires and werewolves and witches unless the fae get in there too. And ever since Sherrilyn Kenyon made it big with gods and goddesses (sorry if I'm crediting her with too much, but I noticed this trend after her books came out), a lot of books appear with gods and goddesses, from Greeks to Romans to Celts, in the mix. If it seems like I'm down on these books, trust me, I'm not. My sad, empty little wallet can attest to such.

The problem, as I see it, is that authors tend to love what they read and want to emulate it. And so we have a bazillion books on vampires, werewolves and witches, gods and faeries. So where have all the ghosts gone? The traditional paranormal ghost story has all but vanished. So maybe that's going to come back. Or how about extra sensory perception, ESP, as a paranormal bend? Elloras Cave has created a new line/joint publisher called the Lotus Circle, which will focus on metaphysical topics. What about our friend, the historical? While Regencies and Victorians are still big, how about our good ol' buddy the Western? And last but not least, my favorite genre, futuristic/scifi romance. Personally, I can never find enough great futuristics to satisfy me, which is why I love writing them. Still, I'd love to see more at my local bookstore.

A big thanks to the world of epublishing for at least breaking the mold and letting new and interesting ideas flood the Internet. Funny how NY keeps adding more erotic romances and paranormals to their lists when the epubbing world has been doing it for years.

And now that I've thoroughly spilled my guts, I'm going to wind down and let you, gentle blog reader, think about what you'd like to see from a publisher the next time you're looking for a good book to read.

Chow!!

Marie
www.marieharte.com
Experience the paranormal, the future, and the fantasy of romance
A Scorching Seduction, now available from Samhain

6 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

[[So where have all the ghosts gone?]]

I've got one! Actualy a trilogy of ghost paranormals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a publisher is going to pick up the story. :)

Maybe we don't see so many ghost stories because it's probably one of the most difficult barriers for the hero and heroine to cross. Like time travel, the author has to come up with a believable device to get the two together.

With the Fae, shifters and vampires, I think it is easier to write those stories because these are creatures that you can easily touch - you can build a credible world around them.

I never get enough of good, well-researched Scottish historicals! But would I write one? Probably not, precisely because of the amount of research involved. A rabid fan can smell an error a mile away. :)

Jenna Leigh said...

I love Sherrilyn's books and I don't think she can get too much credit LOL! I hope paranormal is here to stay, not just because I like writing it but because I love to read it too. Whether it be vamp/were/ghost/fairy etc, I don't care! However, I just think it will branch out into other directions.
One of my faves is Kay Hooper's "Fear" series that involves humans who use their extra-psi abilities to solve crimes for the FBI. Looove her. Just finished one of her books too. *sniffles* Now I have to wait for the next one.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I'd like to see more Westerns and futuristics as well!

Lil said...

I enjoy paranormals very much but it does seems somehow to be a bit of a glut of such stories. Since I read a bit of everything I prefer to see more variety in romance. Someone already mentioned Kay Hooper's Fear books for psi abilities, for time travel/ghost stories I really enjoy Lynn Kurland.

Carolan Ivey said...

I just picked up one of Lynn Kurland's fantasies. I loved her time travels for years. :)

Suzette said...

I like Jayne Castle and Robin Owens..they are futuristic. I love all paranormals but you are right, not many ghosts. I also agree with Carolan as to the reason behind that. Historicals, well, they have to be really good for me to read them and westerns are that one genre I dont usually read unless mixed with paranormal aspects. I'm hooked on paranormals so keep them coming...even if there is a huge variety out there now